Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GT Concern

Tags
concern
2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Terrano 
#1 ·
I had an extended test drive and I am addicted, the car is a 1.9 jtd GT. Of concern to me is that the car has just had a new starter motor fitted and they changed the timing belt and water pump at the same time. All this at 30000Km (18750miles). Do I have reason to be concerned?

#3 ·
My GT had done 61000 miles when I recently sold it, absolutely no problems in 2 years. A very few of these diesels have seized the water pump and which breaks the cam belt. The damage is nothing like the TS engines, but bad enough. I find it strange that water pump has beeen replaced, as a failure usually takes out the belt.
You have to renew the cam belt when replacing the water pump.

#4 ·
I am not usre of the age of the car, but the cambelt interval is also based on a time interval as well as mileage. Maybe it was just changed early to get ahead of the game, and the water pump was also changed as a precaution.

Unless the pump failed, and as the cambelt has to come off it was done as well.

I don't think its too much to worry about either way, as long as the car is in good condition and the rest of the history stacks up.

#9 ·
If you're buying from an Alfa dealer I wouldn't worry about it too much, probably just a precaution. You'll get a full years warranty anyway.

I bought a GTV V6 6 years ago from an Alfa dealer only done 32K but it had a shed-load of work done on it by them before I bought it. They couldn't even give me a test drive because it kept overheating. Like you I was very unsure ... but bought the thing anyway. It never let me down once in 6 years of ownership.

But if you really are unsure bear in mind there are loads more Alfa GT diesels out there to choose from anyway .... or if you want total reliability go for the V6 ..:thumbs:

#11 ·
If you are buying an import into UK with kilometres, then deduct from normal selling price of UK spec the cost of putting it right. I don't think its just a matter of changing a couple of wires, like the Japs.
An import tends to be hit if PX'd at an Alfa dealer too.

#12 ·
Finally took delivery of my Gt on wed and cant get the smile off my face. She looks great in her red exterior and black leather and drives beautifully, will post some pics soon. However, this morning as I left home the engine sounded like something has come loose and is knocking against something else, phoned the dealer and he said it needs to be towed in as it sounds as if the cambelt has come loose..Is this possible? Oh well I hope this is not my introduction to the world of Alfa ownership.

#15 ·
So she was loaded onto the back of a flatbed and taken to the dealers. as fate would have it the car is not making any strange noises and after 2 days of searching they can find nothing wrong. The one guy reckons it could be that the starter did not disengage but I am not convince.

So...for now I am happy and holding thumbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.