Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Opening the boot on a GTV?

Tags
boot opening
3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Green_Rizla 
G
#1 ·
Just a general knowledge thing really, if my GTV ever gets a flat battery, with the battery in the boot, and on mine the boot has no key lock, only the electric release button in the glove box. Is it possible to open the boot?

If so how?

G
#4 ·
Nope, mine has no lock, the rear badge is a low profile one like the front badge. I had a look at the internals in the boot, there is no mechanism, and nothing but the pop solenoid in the area. No rods, nothing!

Am thinking about retro fitting a lock to it! Its a bit weird!

G
#5 ·
On the pos and neg feed, I suppose it might be possible through the ciag lighter, using a normal plug in plug cable attached to a battery!

Seems strange Alfa opted to not put one on! Might have been a security thing?

#7 ·
I don't know the GTV that well, but is there a jump-start connection under the bonnet?

Think yourself lucky you don't have a TVR, when they get a flat battery you can't get into the car at all because of the electric door release...!

#10 ·
I don't know the GTV that well, but is there a jump-start connection under the bonnet?
No Unfortunately not, I've looked into this previously and there isn't one, shame, things like some Mercs with batteries in the boot have them but not Alfas......

I'm aghast that there isn't an external key operated lock. :confused:

The easiest way then would be to put a 12 volt supply in through the cigar lighter socket but strongly recommend that a reverse current protection diode is fitted in this. Suspect that the solenoid would draw about 5 amps, maybe more, for the short time required to spring the lock so ensure that whatever supply is used is capable of supplying this.

#11 ·
If you're not too hot with a soldering iron :cheese: perhaps something like this would be useful, it can also be used for other things as well.

Suspect you'd get something similar from eBay and other sources even cheaper.

Easylife - Battery Charger

#12 ·
i'm aghast as to the no keylock thing, as to my knowledge all gtv had the swivel badge and lock?? can only think that it ws retrofitted like this instead of replacing unit, should be enough space to fit a new unit no??

#14 ·
Flat battery on 166, couldn't open the booot to recharge it. Glove compartment release wouldn't work, neither would the key in the boot lock. Alfa Romeo HQ in Dublin gave me the solution: turn the key in the boot lock while pressing down on the boot lid. It worked with some coaxing!

#17 ·
Ahh this must be the famous phase 2 and half... very rare as the limited boot access was not a big selling feature.

What colour is your GTV Andy? If you see a red v6 giving you the Alfa wave around the 'boro it will probably be me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.