Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Not Your Normal Oil "Leak" - I'm an idiot

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  G5een 
#1 ·
I left 4 litres of a 5 litre bottle of magnatec in my car over the last couple of days as I wanted to keep it for top ups!

I just went to look in the boot just now and there is 3.5 litres of magnatec oil lying in my boot! :cry:

Anybody know the best way of cleaning up 3.5 litres of oil???

Will this damage the metal?

Any help greatly appreciated!

p.s damn those silly lids! :rant:

#2 ·
Well you surely won't have any problem with rust now!!!!!!!!! (Not that 147's rust). Plenty of rags/paper, degreaser such as gunk should lift a lot of it. Be very carefull not to soak the boot with water. I'd just as soon take the carpet out and give it a good clean with something safe, wipe up any oil underneath it.......no harm if you are left with just a smear of the stuff.......

#5 ·
Use something like a paint scraper to shovel up what you can. Lift that carpet out and use liquid detergent and a pressure washer to blast out the remaining oil. Don't use washing powder or you'll be left with white chalky residue (they put all sorts in washing powder to bulk it up).

#6 ·
There should be a small drainage hole under the wheel towards the back bumper side ...

It's simply a cut in the metal lifted up on one side inside the boot and pushed down on the lower side. The upper side will be open towards the front of the car to avoid rainwater getting in. It could be blocked or the car not on a level where the oil/fluid is finding the hole.

#9 ·
Baby Wipes :thumbs:

#11 ·
I had a case of beer bottles in my boot ... at least that's what I put in, I got out a load of broken glass and a boot that smelt like an unclean pub cellar ...

#12 ·
I left my turntables and vinyl's in the boot for a couple of weeks.

Box fell, vinyl everywhere, records scratched to death :cry:

Not as messy as glass, but far more expensive :( :rant:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.