Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alpha 156 dash

Tags
156 alpha dash
1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Wisrute B. 
G
#1 ·
Hi

I am looking at trading in my citoen for a 156..when was the selespeed dash updated...I've seen some pics with the 2 button on top of the steering wheel arms and another with them incorporated into the arms.

Also what's the general impression of the Selespeed system..the tech guides say it's a mannual transmission, so do you still have to use the buttons to change down gears when you are slowing to a stop? ie can you stall it?

Cheers

Matthew

#2 ·
Having driven both the early button-operated Selespeed as well as the current paddle-operated one, I think the current paddle shift is a huge improvement over the two small buttons. (Still not sure about the new gear knob, though wink )

The buttons require that you press them all the way in to get it to shift. I had a few incidents where, after having pressed it, the transmission didn't shift. This was on track, and luckily there was no drama there. The size of the buttons are relatively small, especially when compared to the new paddles. It can be tiring trying to aim your thumbs for the two small buttons repetitively.

The paddle operate with a more natural motion of your figers. During a weekend of hard test drive, it didn't miss a shift at all.

The transmission automatically downshifts as you slow down, and no, you won't stall.

Cheers,

#3 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wisrute B.:
<strong>The transmission automatically downshifts as you slow down, and no, you won't stall.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">IRL you only want the gearbox to shift down when you are making a complete stop, when you're slowing down for a corner it is better to shift down yourself.

You can find some explanation about the transmission on my site.

Selespeed

#4 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selespeed:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wisrute B.:
<strong>The transmission automatically downshifts as you slow down, and no, you won't stall.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">IRL you only want the gearbox to shift down when you are making a complete stop, when you're slowing down for a corner it is better to shift down yourself.

Selespeed</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course. I guess I didn't answer so clearly. wink

#5 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wisrute B.:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selespeed:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wisrute B.:

Selespeed</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course. I guess I didn't answer so clearly. wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You gave the answer to his question and it was clear enough, but if he his going to take a selespeed for a testdrive he will be disappointed if he is slowing down for a corner and waits for the gearbox to shift down by itself

G
#6 ·
The Selespeed is one of the best and one of the most annoying features of the car, IMHO.

It is the best because on the open road it beats any manual or automatic into the dust. It will change up at the red line by itself, shift into first when you come to a stop and generally do all those little things that you cannot be bothered to do yourself. Most of all you can keep both hands on the wheel and change gear manually, FAB.

However it is annoying in town where the changes are not real smooth and the clutch dips in and out. It leaves something, a certain little something, to be desired.

Has anyone tried reloading the software or modifying it? A more intelligent calibration on City mode would make town stop start more relaxing.

#7 ·
Julian's right. The drawback of Selespeed is quite evident when used in notorious Bangkok traffic. That's one reason why I bought myself a manual transmission.

Our Sportwagon Selespeed had the transmission reprogrammed twice since purchase. Right now it seems to shift little smoother than before, although it's still having trouble negotiating stop and go traffic. :rolleyes:

When we first bought it, my wife complained a bit about this 'indecisive' behavior of the transmission that periodically occurs in traffic, or when climbing parking structures. She uses it in City mode all the time, and seems to be used to it by now.

#9 ·
<strong>..although it's still having trouble negotiating stop and go traffic...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">.. hardly any probs with my (147) selespeed. Most of the time stop and go traffic goes smooth enough.

G
#10 ·
Am I reading this right...if I am in 5th gear and slowing down and don't change down or come to a complete stop, will the car still be in 5th if I speed up again or in a suitable gear for the speed of the engine?

Matthew

#11 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mnm:
<strong>Am I reading this right...if I am in 5th gear and slowing down and don't change down or come to a complete stop, will the car still be in 5th if I speed up again or in a suitable gear for the speed of the engine?

Matthew</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Most of the time it will be in a suitable gear. If you come to a stand-still that should mean 1st. Sometimes pays to keep an eye on the display when slowing/accelerating up hill I find.

Jono

#12 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mnm:
<strong>Am I reading this right...if I am in 5th gear and slowing down and don't change down or come to a complete stop, will the car still be in 5th if I speed up again or in a suitable gear for the speed of the engine?

Matthew</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Um no. The car will downshift itself (even if you don't)to a lower gear, depending on your speed. You don't have to come to a complete stop for it to change gear.

What Selespeed is saying is that it's better for you to downshift yourself when approaching corners rather than relying on the electronics to do the job.

I think you should book a test drive, it'll give you a much better idea of what it's like to drive one. Then you can decide for yourself whether Selespeed is for you or not. wink

Cheers,

#13 ·
What selespeed is trying to get over is the gearbox will change down for you but not until the revs have dropped to around 1000rpm - 1500rpm.

If you were in 5th and slowed down to say 25mph the box would select 4th but you would be powering out of the bend with very little power, 4th gear at 1500rpm means your going nowere fast. A lot better to shift down to 3rd or 2nd yourself.

If you were just pulling up to stop the gearbox would change down again at the same point until you stopped at which point you would be in 1st.

In City mode the box changes down earlier and a dab on the brakes at less than 50mph usually knocks the gearbox down a gear.

Lee

#14 ·
<strong>So is May 2001 the change over date for the steering wheel/dash board?

Matthew</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On our models the shift buttons were changed for paddles along with the 2002 facelift - this also gives you dual-zone climate control and the dash-top computer (and the new JTS engine in some markets). Europe & Oz might be different though...

Like selespeed said, the best way to understand it is to test-drive it yourself. It shifts a lot smoother if you release the accelerator between shifts (otherwise the electronics will do this for you). And the speed of the shifting operation depends on your engine rpm, I think.

#15 ·
when u accc and dont shift up it will alone upon reaching the red dash on rpm
???????? optimum perforance that is if true

G
#16 ·
The performance is terrific as there is no torque converter soaking up power and it really does redline before shifting. However it will never be as smooth as an automatic around town and will not creep at idle (useful on inclines).

It will never be as tactile as a manual and all the electronics reduce the acceleration off the line.

It really is just a different kind of car and you either love it or hate it.

G
#17 ·
K. Wisrute's observations about his wife driving in Bangkok reminds me of my wife on the first day with the new Alfa.

I left to go to the office and told her not to drive it until I had explained the difference with her prehistoric Jeep auto box.

She smiled sweetly and said Ka a lot so off I went.

An hour later she arrives in the office.

"How did you get her, the bus?" I asked.
"No, I drove."
"In the Alfa?"
"Yes, but there was this whining sound when I started off. It took a long time to go away....."

Day 1 Gear 1 Red line.....

The motto is 'Always read the instructions first'

#18 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Julian Lord:
<strong>

Day 1 Gear 1 Red line.....

The motto is 'Always read the instructions first'</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">:D Ouch! :D And it's probably a good idea never to valet a Selespeed 156 (or any Alfa, for that matter).

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.