Alfa Romeo Forum banner

DPF - New Owner Question

Tags
dpf
13K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  beechams 
#1 ·
I've read various threads here about the DPF filling up and what to do when it happens. I've yet to notice anything to suggest it is happening.

So far I've put about 1700 km (say 1050 miles) on my 159 2.4 JTD. My round trip to work each day is about 32 km (20 miles) during which I would normally reach 100 km/h (60 mph) for a short period.

Under these conditions, how often would you expect the DPF to fill up? What would I notice when it did?

#4 ·
Not sure how often it kicks in but what you will notice is a deeper exhaust note and a rough idle for a couple of minutes.
And a particularly hot/burning smell when you get out of the car if it's been re-gen'ing recently.

I have a commute of about 13 miles, most of which is at about 60, and I'll occasionally do the journey in 5th to keep revs up, exhaust temperature up, and thus give the dpf chance to do a good re-gen if it wants to.

At over 6k miles this approach seems to be working for me so far (I've just touched some wood).

Just for info. the dpf apparently takes about 8 minutes to do a full re-gen.

#6 ·
This happened to me after a spirited run (about 8 miles) on some nice twisty tarmac, at first I thought the Turbo had gone as there was so much white smoke, ( The A team would be jealous )and It kept that up for about a quarter of a mile…
Basically, as I had driven very hard, the system automatically went into reclaim mode.
There were no warning lights on the dash as the manual says, and the car did seem to drive better after the afterburner fired :D

Moral of the story:
Bring your Bella for a good thrash every now and then, let her do what she does best:) and always take the long way home :D

#7 ·
There were no warning lights on the dash as the manual says, and the car did seem to drive better after the afterburner fired :D

Has anyone ever seen the DPF warning light symbol that the manual talks about? My Brera has gone into limp home mode 5 or 6 times now - the dealer confirms that it is DPF related but the only light I ever get is the 'have engine checked' symbol.

I don't think driving style is the whole story - my weekly pattern is 100 motorway miles on a monday, 100 urban miles during the week and then another 100 motorway miles on friday. That pattern should give the DPF plenty of opportunity to regen yet 4 fridays in a row I went into limp home mode before I got to the motorway bit. I think it's more luck of the draw. :eek:(

#14 ·
don't know how often the regeneration cycle is necessary on an alfa, but on PSA engines, which use a different type of filter and regenration process, it's about 500 miles between regenerations... though if you drive too slow, the filter will be completely clogged after about 6000 miles (that's the lowest mileage I've seen with before a warning message came up). 0.7 bar pressure difference over the filter in that case, a good razz however got the pressure drop down to about 0.2 bar....

#20 ·
As so thats how it works then.. Two sensors measure the pressure either side of the filter, and if it gets too high it triggers the regeneration cycle.

Maybe the DPF could be removed altogether and some resistors of the correct ohms could be wired into the sensors to trick the ECU into thinking the DPF is there and working correctly.

G
#16 ·
Mediaman,I am having the same problem, have just had to suffer a journey back from Luxembourg with engine warning light on and limp mode for....well I have lost count how many times. Back to dealer again in for a week new DPF filter etc, four days later same thing engine warning light and limp home mode!!!! Dealer always says DPF clogged but I have never seen the DPF light come on. They must see that there is something else wrong now!!!!

#21 ·
mine must have regenerated this morning on the way to work. Usually I get over 40mpg - this morning 32.8 :eek: :eek:

#29 ·
Good link marcevo.

Having read that I think the only thing that we as drivers of cars with DPFs can control is the amount of sulphur present by the use of Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.

With that in mind does anyone know what levels of sulphur you get in standard supermarket or garage forecourt diesel?

#30 ·
i think they are all on low sulphur now? the old problem was that the 'normal' sulphur diesel had benificial properties at keeping the injectors in tip top condition - that said i would have thought that they put lubrication additives in ULSD by now?

#33 ·
You mean physically removing the DPF from the car, or just a map to prevent it going through a regen?

I've said for a while now that removing the DPF would be the way to go, I would if I owned one of these cars. Basically all you'd need is an electrical device to provide the correct voltage to the ECU to tell it that the DPF is OK and not requiring a regen. It shouldn't be too difficult to do and removing the DPF would cure a lot of issues the car can have when it does a lot of short journeys. Plus removing the DPF should help make the exhaust more free-flowing, reducing cylinder temperatures and allowing a wilder remap on the car, more boost and fuel for more power :D

#34 ·
Yes remove the filter and replace with bypass pipe
I tried to fool the ecu with voltage this dosn't work
sounds easy thats what I thought
The sensor is 0 to 5 volts so easy set it to 30mbs thats was great no
eng light drove it etc but when switched off and back on ecu sees its reading 30mbs with out engine running fault light on tried all differant settings no good

Any way I am working on the files now 1.9 first then 2.4 so will let you know
this will stop the regen and the eng light coming on
we can supply the baypass pipe already

#36 ·
I wonder could a voltage clamp on the line from the DPF be made so it is only providing voltage while the engine is on? Could the voltage clamp be linked in with something like crank sensor, that is only providing a voltage when engine is operating?

If you can turn off the DPF regen in an engine map then that is great, but I'm just wondering for those that want to remove/bypass the DPF without getting a remap.. I'll probably want to own a 159 in future so I like looking into things like this in advance..

#37 ·
Im sure a little box could be made like you say crank triggered I thought of this but this would mean adding wires etc so im trying to make this work in the map
I will offer this for a std map as well for people who dont need any more speed
its seems to be the 2.4s that give the most dpf problems from what im seeing

#38 ·
loads of yank diesel tuning companies do the plug in 'dpf delete' kit

more than one sensor though

however i think the latest alfa ecu is a tad more complex from what everyone tells me

i've got a remapped 2.4 - no dpf issues and plenty fast (circa 250-260bhp) but i do a lot of motorway miles every day

#39 ·
Hi
Yes its odd some cars seem to have loads of dpf problems other s none
there was a mod after 2006 for the dpr pressure sensor and pipes
not sure why

I have people who want the filter removed so im working on it any way
then they can have more power low down
because thats where you have to back them off compared to
non dpf cars

#41 ·
when my cars 3 years old the other half will have it (replacing her 147) - will need the dpf removing as she'll clog it in half a day!

best of luck with the software mods - very keen to find out if you manage it - that would be one of many orders!

#40 ·
Best of luck with that then Adie, I dread to think how complicated the management is getting on some of these new Alfas.. By the way, what do you do about the aux belt if you want to remove the air con compressor on a V6?

#47 ·
... By the way, what do you do about the aux belt if you want to remove the air con compressor on a V6?
Not still going on about that then dan :rolleyes: :lol: ... thought we'd managed to put you off that idea a while ago :D

#44 ·
dont think there is any significant difference in the 200 - 210 maps

if you have cracked it if you want to make some money sell it to celtic / angel on a commission basis ;-)

#45 ·
Where you based Adie :confused:;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.