Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Novitec Maxxair Intake

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Paulo Mendes 
#1 ·

As Novitec send there new product to the market again. I consider the Maxxair intake that Novitec claim 6kW/8PS increase from original. How can they increase due to the air-filter is on the top of exhaust system and behind the coolant fan? Any have an answer why this intake system will increase our Bella. Because, the filter will suck a hot-air at that place.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
You are right about the hot air problem, although that dimishes once you are driving around (especially in chilly Britain!).
I wonder if they have some great theory relating to the length of pipe after the filter. This may be a "tuned" length to assist the air flow. Otherwise they would have just stuck the filter in place of the original air box.

#5 ·
On a 156, a better place to put it would be where the original airbox was with a cold air feed coming in from the passenger side vent in the front grille next to the foglight as there is no clear place to take a cold air feed from near the engine as the radiator is in the way.

A better looking kit (but most likely more expensive) is this:
http://www.proven-products.co.uk/viper_induction_kit.htm

#6 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Paulo Mendes:
<strong>No comments!!!
Novitec must be
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Paulo,
What is the benefit for CCV-bypass? I have seen in yr site for a moment. But I can't tell myself what's it use for. Pls advise.

#8 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LaTiNo156:
<strong>it's too bad that no Novitec, Autodelta, Madeno guys are visiting the forum to comment on this kind of things...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LaTiNo,
I think we should go to there site and ask them about there stuff.

:D :D

G
#10 ·
everybody wants a conical filter........Novitec make a conical filter, that's marketing !

But obviously, they have placed the filter in a very stupid place.......except perhaps for those who want's to show that they have made mods....marketing again !

#12 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by apichet:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Paulo Mendes:
<strong>No comments!!!
Novitec must be
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Paulo,
What is the benefit for CCV-bypass? I have seen in yr site for a moment. But I can't tell myself what's it use for. Pls advise.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I’m no mechanic engineer, but there are some things that a child can see…how can they place an air filter in a hot spot, if the engine has more power with cold air?
I think that solution above isn’t good!

Apichet, you can see some explanation on this old forget post:

http://www.alfaowner.com/forum/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000942

#13 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Paulo Mendes:
<strong>how can they place an air filter in a hot spot, if the engine has more power with cold air?
I think that solution above isn’t good!
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hot air is a concern with getting air into an engine, but not the ONLY concern!!! It is a complicated area!

#15 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LaTiNo156:
<strong>it's too bad that no Novitec, Autodelta, Madeno guys are visiting the forum to comment on this kind of things...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In fact, Madeno guys claim to have visited a lot of forums. But things got nasty as soon as they posted too much, because people found it not very objective... :rolleyes: ...

Anyway, that's what a guy @ Madeno told me ....

#19 ·
The site do not allow me to paste pics in other sites, but here’s a link of one pic:
(copy the link and paste in a new window)

http://alfa147.fateback.com/images/147/my147/029.jpg
http://alfa147.fateback.com/images/147/my147/031.jpg
http://alfa147.fateback.com/images/147/my147/035.jpg

More pics in my site…
BTW, all my intake and CCV bypass was DIY work, you just need time, patience and a little more.
It can be done with my air filter (BMC CDA) or any other air filter / brand.
Like I’ve said, I’m no engineer, but I’ve tried 4 or 5 different places, and I think that’s the best place the filter should be.

#20 ·
<strong>The site do not allow me to paste pics in other sites, but here’s a link of one pic...
Like I’ve said, I’m no engineer, but I’ve tried 4 or 5 different places, and I think that’s the best place the filter should be.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pasting the links still dont work, anyway here is one of them:

Actually 4-stroke engines are based on a thermodynamic circle, of which the efficiency depends on the input temperature, the lowest the input temperature, the higher the circle's efficiency = the higher the engine's performance.

So Paulo you did a good work, beacuse you insisted on experimenting with the filter's position. Novitec should offer you a job wink

Ah, just a question, normally there is a cover at the area you installed the filter, did you put it back? i m not sure if the filter is water protected without it..

#21 ·
That cover exist in the 1.6 and 2.0, but I think is the place where is installed the Selespeed system.
So if is true this solution doesn’t work on the Selespeed version, but we can place in other fresh place.

About the water, in the winter I was afraid of entering water in the intake pipe, then I’ve removed the end pipe system (pipe from the end of the air filter to the front bumper grill to catch more fresh air, and turning this system from direct intake to dynamic intake).

But I’ve discover that without that end pipe that’s ok, I have fresh air over the wheel archer, the filter is cover from water, direct dust, etc, because is behind the bumper, and have more power at low revs cause I have short pipes.
I think the dynamic system its good to top speed, cause the speed pulls the air into the intake, and short pipes are good cause I have quickly air answer when I press gas pedal.

I my point of view, I think a good intake has to have short and straight pipes, fresh air, less restriction as possible inside the pipes.

#22 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Paulo Mendes:
<strong>The site do not allow me to paste pics in other sites, but here’s a link of one pic...
Like I’ve said, I’m no engineer, but I’ve tried 4 or 5 different places, and I think that’s the best place the filter should be.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pasting the links still dont work, anyway here is one of them:

Actually 4-stroke engines are based on a thermodynamic circle, of which the efficiency depends on the input temperature, the lowest the input temperature, the higher the circle's efficiency = the higher the engine's performance.

So Paulo you did a good work, beacuse you insisted on experimenting with the filter's position. Novitec should offer you a job wink

Ah, just a question, normally there is a cover at the area you installed the filter, did you put it back? i m not sure if the filter is water protected without it..</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Paolo,
Have u test yr HP before and after DIY? Need to know the result.

:p :p

#23 ·
Unhappily not!
It wanted to make a dyno test before and after the installation, but I didn’t have the time and I didn’t found the right dyno machine.
When I have one, I place online ASAP.

Sometimes dyno’s doesn’t give the real power, sometimes they are not calibrated and in the other hand they can’t send sufficient air to the intake like on the road.
In a real situation, on the road, you have lots of air entering the intake, that’s when you noticed the power increase.
Dyno’s are good only to see the increase before and after the mod, not the power value only the increase value, but unhappily I don’t have any test with original air filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.