Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Noisy/Rattley diesel 1.9JTDM...possible fix?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Stevie28 
#1 ·
Ive read lots of comments regarding how rattly the Alfa diesels seem to be in comparison to other manufacturers so when i got my 159 i just accepted the noise and got on with it until.....

I was wiping down the metal work in engine bay and put my hand on engine cover, instant change in noise and volume. The cover is knocking on top of the area around the oil filler, the cover itself is secured by 4 rubber bungs with thro holes which locate on four screw in ball ended bolts, there is no adjustment on these and when mentioned to dealer they just greased them!

I have since put some spacer spring washers under two of bolts and now have a much more refined, smoother and quiter sounding engine, ok its still sounds like a diesel especially when cold but inside the cabin its a vast improvement.....

This may not be the reason for most of the complaints but its worth a look because i just took it for granted until i came across it by accident....

#5 ·
Meant to say in my first post try taking the cover off first rather than applying pressure and see if it makes a difference, cover just pulls off... would be good to hear if this has helped anyone.

I found it strange that there was no adjustment on this cover so it must be happening to others too....

#8 · (Edited)
No difference for me either but my engine does 'shake' somewhat on tickover. Nothing detrimental to the car but I presume a 'characteristic' of a Diesel with its compression ignition. By the way after reading here I'm trying to run on Shell V-Power Diesel - reports its runs quieter but not noticeable to me as of yet?

#9 ·
depends on how much 'shake' you get. My previous car was a 1.9D and to be fair the engine was very steady. Of course it vibrated it will do but not like my 159 does, shake was a good choice of words. My shake is bad enough to feedback through the car into the **** pit, sometimes sat in the driver seat is like sitting on the washing machine on spin. Not that I ever do that of course, my good lady made the comparison.

Seriously tho, it isnt right and maybe it isnt just mt car? maybe a common thing in the 159. i certainly dont intend to live with it, i paid premium money for this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.