Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Spider Rattles/Creaks

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  muso147 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry to bring this up again as I have mentioned briefly in previous posts, some minor problems I’m having with the Spider.

They have now got worse, I would like to know if anybody else has them at all or whether my car seems to be an exception!

The seat has a gentle ‘rock’ to it, nothing too major but it is noticeable under breaking/setting off. In addition to this the driver’s seat at least, has a very annoying creak. It seems to be on the right side of the seat towards the back. I have tried moving the seat slightly to solve the problem, but this has not made a difference so far. This morning I got into the car to find a screw and a washer loose by the side of the seat- not a good sign and I hope it’s not related!

I am also hearing a lot of rattling from the passenger side of the dashboard and from what appears to be the back of the hood when closed. This is gradually getting worse and is becoming quite irritating. I don’t mind wind noise etc, but this is a constant rattling from the back and has to be drowned out by the radio. I have had a look and can’t picture where exactly it is coming from (it may even be the box the roof is stored in when closed).

Aside from these (quite annoying) irritants, the car is lovely and brings a smile to my face every time I get in it. Perhaps these are all part of the Alfa “traits” I have heard about, but being my first Alfa I cannot compare.

See less See more
#2 ·
The rattle from the roof could be the windbreak. Mine does this from time to time - I find hitting it (hard) solves the problem for a while:cheese:

#3 ·
Glad I'm in good company. Yes to the rattle from the glovebox area, yes to the rattle/creak from the hood when up and yes to the rocking drivers seat (which is worse than my old Brera). I'm not too concerned because I expected a few creaks being a convertible with more body flex but no excuse for the seat and glovebox. Budgens (Shrewsbury) have all new Alfa's in after a 1000 miles to rectify things like this and who knows it may have settled down by then. I'll keep the forum posted.

#4 ·
I've also found that the engine doesn't always start up first time after pressing the button. After dipping the clutch and pressing the button BlueTooth flashes up and the procedure fails. I then have to go through the whole process again to start the engine. Never had this with the Brera is it to do with BlueTooth?

#8 ·
Yes i had the rattle from the passenger side traced it to the glove box took it back to Platts on Saturday and they replaced the whole glovebox instead of messing around..Got to have a play in the 8c while i was there and give it a rev :cool: they were very helpfull as usual also you could try removing your windbreak to see if thats the culprit check your handbook if your not sure how (although its not very clear :rolleyes: )

#11 ·
I believe you may have solved where my rattles are coming from! I don't see how I can stop this though as it seems it may always rattle and can't be secured in any other way. I would quite like to have it up too, it would be a pain putting it in everytime I put the roof down :lol:

G
#10 ·
I've got the creaks - driver's seat and somewhere under the steering column or the dashboard when cornering.

No rattles though - could be because the glove box is completely full :) and the roll hoop has already been ripped off :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Me too I had a Z4 and wind deflector rattled like hell tho a folded business card wedged in tight seem to sort it out; not very attractive tho...

I've got a few rattles in my spider too mainly from the roof asembly near the mounts behind the seats, I can't remember if it was like this before the work om the roof or not but its very annoying, tho I don't really have time to drive to Piccadilly to get it sorted and have no faith in the Nothampton lot....

#17 ·
Maybe i'm just sensitive to it. I don't mind a few normal rattles as most cars will have those and being a soft top it's bound to have more than usual.

The wind deflector is the main cause of the rattles I have decided, and i'm going to try and sort it out this weekend.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the seat to not creak or rock though! Is the only way to fix this by taking it into the dealer?

#19 ·
Hi there,

Had a rattle from behind the seats where the hood came down as well as a rattle in the door and the dashboard.

Took it back into Mangoletsi and had it back the same day rattle free.

Give your dealer a ring. Only a minor niggle but they'll be more than happy to fix it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.