Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 147 JTD Mjet 16v - No power/Black smoke on hills.

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  alid1 
#1 ·
A friendly hello to you all,

Sad news however, my alfa has died on me after 3 years of carefree driving - & yes the warranty has just run out!

Driving from Oldham to Stafford yesterday & there was hardly any acceleration between the gears, when I eventually got to 50/60mph the car seemed okay - then on any slight hill deceleration occured with black smoke from the exhaust to follow. Once flat again the smoke stopped & eventually a decent speed was achieved.

This morning I went to start it & it failed.

Automechanics seem to think anything from the turbo, airflow meter, EGR Valve or even a blocked cat - I think it will be expensive though.

PS The Amber engine light came on!

#2 ·
Black smoke is generally 'overfuelling' which can often be caused by a split turbo pipe. The electronics measure how much air passes the meter and adds the appropriate amount of fuel. If your turbo pipe is split, then some of that air is being lost but all the fuel is still being injected - hence the black smoke.

#3 ·
This will be pretty cheap to fix, but hard to find. I took ages to find a split that was about 10mm long. I only found it when i took all the pipes off and washed them in soapy water to remove the grime.
It'd be the first thing I'd check if I was you.

Turbo pipes for a 2.4 156 are £35 or £90 approx. Don't know about your model, but similar perhaps.

By the way, my syptoms were similar except I had a red light.

#6 ·
I have exactly same problem, when I went to look for holes in the turbo pipes I discovered that the main alfa dealer had repaired the pipe going from the MAF to the turbo with a piece of cardboard and two cable ties ! I’ve since bought the correct pipe and I will let you all know if this corrects the problem.

#9 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm back to the same problem again with my 147 jtd. I replaced the pipe with a new one but unfortunately the garage (not main dealer this time) put the pipe on to close to that dreaded bolt on the engine that has since caused the pipe to rupture by rubbing against it.
I was wondering what online alfa sites you guys recommend? The problem is I have the invoice for the part but I can't find the part number online anywhere.

Does anyone have the part no they've used online.

My part number is 0051709470 Flex Sleeve (F)

BTW the reason for the original problem of great clouds of black smoke and no power was a blocked EGR valve! Ive since blocked it off and no problems since (except an annoying warning message "master control system error" on start up and warning light)

Thanks everyone. :)

#13 ·
I thought all it did was reduce NOx

EGR deletion
EGR deletion in diesel engines is considered justifiable by a wide range of people, including the environmentally conscious. Although deleting the EGR system results in increased NOx levels, hydrocarbon emissions, Particulates, Carbon monoxide and Carbon dioxide are drastically reduced. Furthermore, EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%. Exhaust gas recirculated back into the cylinders adds wear-inducing contaminants and causes an increase engine oil acidity, which can result in an inefficient, poorly running engine. The increased level of soot also creates the need for diesel particulate filters to prevent environmental contamination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.