Alfa Romeo Forum banner

lowering 156 with 18"

851 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  shiny_car 
#1 ·
Hi. I am new to the forum. I drive a 2005 156 2.5. Want to upgrade from standard 16" wheels, but would also like to drop the car slighlty. Is it possible to go for 18"s and still drop 25 - 30 mm??? Would this make the ride ridiculously hard or will it touch the arches? Would 17"s be a better balanced option? The 156 is a gorgeous car but needs the right wheels and suspension. Please help. - South Africa.

#2 ·
Tyre diameter will be roughly the same, so yes you can still lower with 18" rims.
Tyre size would be 225/40R18 (obviously W rated or higher).

The ride would suffer though, but obviously a personal preference thing.

#4 ·
As David C says , its a personal thing , 18's should go but in my opinion may look a little too much , i've got 17"s on mine and it handles excellently , the ride is a little stiff but as long as you avoid the big pot holes you dont end up with a compressed spine. :)

#5 ·
18" wheels with 3cm lowering looks bang on. The wheel wells fill perfectly without looking chavvy.

Ive had many people comment on how much better it looks.

Also, get Koni FSD Dampers as these work brilliantly. I had to lower my tyre pressure to 25 psi before to make the ride bearable.

Now at 32psi the car is as good\better than stock.

#6 ·
yes, you will want to lower the car for a better 'look'. my (old) 156 had this combo: 18x7.5" wheels with 225/40 tyres (pirelli P7000), Eibach Pro Kit springs (KONI dampers), Zender bodykit. the combo of lowering + kit = nice look. though i also had a heavy stereo in the boot at the time, so it was another 1" lower!

here's an old pic:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/10985134/264642652.jpg

as above, ride comfort is subjective. i found it 'very good', and the handling was really good. i would do it again. i personally think a 40-series profile tyre is 'about right' in terms of compromise between cost, looks, comfort, and handling.

most other people will suggest 17s is better. perhaps so, but i also wonder how many of these people have tried 18s. at the end of the day, hard to advise you, cos we cannot know what you are expecting. all i can say is i was very happy with the 18s.

:)

#8 ·
yes indeed! well spotted - you must have been there! :D

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.