Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Tyre wear.....................

Tags
tyre wear
1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  marcus156v6 
G
#1 ·
My front tyres are down to 50% of their new depth and the rears are at 70%. These Pirelli 7000 17" things are not at all satisfactory. I'm off to Bridgestone next time. This is at 3,500 miles by the way, 1700 of which was on one journey on motorways. At this rate I will need new tyres around 7,000 miles.

G
#2 ·
didn't like 'em either Jay,poor in the wet and average in the dry,but more importantly they just didn't suit the car,particularly the VDC.I went for Toyo TS1s after 10k of hard road driving and they are infinitely better,the VDC hardly ever comes on and the car will move on all 4 wheels when the Pirellis would snap and trigger the VDC.Vastly superior tyres imo.

#3 ·
I too have the the toyos on the gtv and I really think they are fabulous. Grip is superb on hard cornering and the car can be controlled far better on fast starts. If Subaru and and mitsubishi consistently recommend them for their cars, they must be good.

G
#5 ·
Jay thanks so much for that this morning. At nearly 6k and on the P7000's the first thing I'm going to do when the wife gets home is check those boots! Bridgestones or Toyos by the sounds of it - I'd hoped for 10k at least. More expense and me being totally self-employed now! Next I'll be using regular UL.

#6 ·
I am very satisfied with my Pirelli SP9000 tyres, even after some thrashing, they are still quite good in regards to performance and track days...

G
#7 ·
My brother also has had Pirelli's under his Ibiza Cupra, they were gone very very quick even without trashing them... They have a compouns I think which is very soft compared to other tyres, he now runs on toyo's too and is way better off...

#8 ·
Does anybody have experience with Yokohama's A520?

How do they perform mounted on an Alfa? I had them on my previous Colt.

Ant

G
#10 ·
I have tended to use Pirelli on my 156 (P6000) and get 10-12k. Some of this is down to tracking going and resultant inside edge wear - I keep meaning to get 4 wheel done intermittently (country roads all around us) but forget. I did have Bridgestone originally and tried them again part way through, but wear was quicker although handling a bit better. I'm always interested in recommendations for tyres as a result.

G
#11 ·
Jinxy, welcome to the site and all, but Scooby Doo Impreza? You are aware this is an Alfa site? Perhaps you've seen the light and you're after some style rather than 4WD bug eyed grunt. Having said that, I won't even attempt to tackle a Scooby in full flight, I'm not that stupid!

G
#12 ·
Do these Toyos come in 17" and has anyone used them? Bridgestones get the highest overall ratings for 17" tyres that are suitable. The SLK got through Dunlops like they didnt exist but the Continentals were superb and I had them on for 14,000 miles before I sold the car and they were 50% gone at the rear (driven) wheels. The Pirellis are just wearing out at a ridiculous pace - I never have had the VDC come on, and I admit doing some stupidly tight over-rapid roundabouts (if you work in Milton Keynes roundabouts are a way of life), I do boot the car quite hard at times, but wear is uniform and completely normal. Can they really be such a soft compound? They are quite skittish in the wet and I find they provide little confidence in the wet. The P6000's on the GTV have me near panic in the wet - not that I'm allowed to drive it. But As a passenger I find it all quite alarming as it slides round corners - ones beloved thinks this is normal and amusing however - who am I to disagree!

#13 ·
Nemesis

Yep I have a Scooby Doo but the original shape not the pug ugly one...... :p

Ordering a GTA (maybe selespeed) next week. Its not that much slower than the Scooby, if at all because is sure dont feel like it. Only time I think my current car feels quicker is accelerating in 5th at about 70 but I suppose the full de-cat exhaust is helps :)

Steve

G
#14 ·
I was talking to a tyre fitter at a Swedish wedding (as you do!) and he said the Michellin were the best tyres for 156/147 in his experience. Nokian (yes, they used to be Nokia like the phones) are supposed to be the best winter tyres by far.

Siro

#16 ·
I read a group tyre test recently in Evo I think.

The new Goodyear F1 came out top but closely behind it and a better all rounder was the Continental Conti-Sport Contact. Have these fitted to my 156 and they are very progressive with plenty of grip. I would estimate a life of around 18k to 20k miles as mine are not quite half worn at 9000 miles.

The test were a combination of blind driver trials, telemetry trials and wear.

If your not bothered about wear the Bridgestone S03's are awesome, (Had them on the Scoob) but didn't last long. The Toyo's are very good but I found they were harsh with a lot of road noise.

If your only concern is wear try some Michelin Pilot Hx's or Primacy as there called now. Had some on my V6 Mondeo and lasted 25k miles on the front but the traction control had to stop them spinning in 1st and 2nd gear.

Lee

#17 ·
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 on my 147 and they still look like new, I loved.
In my old Punto it have Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position and I loved too.
I think that the new S03 it’s a little better than s02, but it don’t last long and they aren’t so pretty.

I’ve read that the new Goodyear F1 are coming soon, almost slick but with the same water lines and you can drive with tire flat.

G
#18 ·
Hello
I have recently fitted Goodyear F1 to my 2 litre 156 and its grip is certainly strong. Even with a heavy right foot its hard to lose grip out of the traffic lights. (205's). The best bit was I only paid £76 a tyre.

#19 ·
Where are they made? Mines are German. They look really impressive, I must say. They give the car a very strong character, and they have performed really nice so far with my car. Nice choice.

Ant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.