Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Back To The Age Old Question - Which Tyres?

Tags
age tyres
2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Roswell 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m going to need to replace the front tyres on my 156 within the next few weeks. By then the Pirelli P Zero Neros that were fitted a couple of days before I collected the car will have lasted less than 12 months and 12,000 miles.

I had two sets of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on my previous 156 which were very sticky but had a similar wear rate. I assume that soft, sticky tyres will always were more quickly than hard ones?

So what other options do I have?

My local Indie are pushing Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31s at £76.20 each inclusive.

I found Dunlop SP Sport Maxx for £84.10 each and Pirelli P Zero Nero for £95.60 each from My Tyres.

The tyre size and specification is 215/45 ZR17 91Y

#2 ·
The Firestone Firehawk 700 on my car are the original ones that came with the car when I bought it new two years ago. They have covered over 24000 miles and still have about 2mm left on the fronts and 3.5mm on the rears. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't necessarily recommend them, though. They are noisy and not particularly grippy. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of trying out a set of Sport Maxx next. I hear what you are saying about the wear, Ros. How noisy are they? :confused:

#4 ·
#3 ·
Try Event Ros and also give the new Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres a whirl.

If they can keep the 240bhp in check on the GT, they should be excellent for your lovely Ti:)

#8 ·
Cheapest place I found, next day delivery. Got my local indie to fit for twenty quid. I bought 4 x CSC3's which are not on the list.. for the same price as CSC2's.. ring em up and ask about your choices :)

Jet Tyres

^poster has no affiliation or commercial connection with vendor, simply a very happy customer.

G
#10 ·
The Firestone Firehawks on the back of our Sportwagon are still the originals at 79,000 miles and about 3/4 worn. We put new ones on the front when we got the car a year ago and they are 2/3 worn after 34,000 miles.

If you go for soft and grippy and drive hard they will wear quickly, if you go for harder compounds they will last longer. The Firestones are presumably a hardish compound.

AlfaLincs

#11 · (Edited)
Did that include some trackdays Roswell?

For normal road use I reckon Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres (PS2) would last twice the life you experienced in a car with three times the power!

Either those tyres are naff, you are terrible parallel parker ( :) ), or perhaps you might get your tracking checked and consider reducing front toe-out close to parallel - if you are prepared for a minor handling trade-off for longer tyre life.

The new F1s are supposed to be good too, but I give the TB stamp of approval to the PS2's for everything really, but definitely for tyre life under enthusiastic driving!

I’m going to need to replace the front tyres on my 156 within the next few weeks. By then the Pirelli P Zero Neros that were fitted a couple of days before I collected the car will have lasted less than 12 months and 12,000 miles.

#12 ·
I have Bridgestone RE050A 215/45R17 87W ( now no longer directional ) on my 147, excellent grip. I had Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2 on my 1st 147 & tbh I think the Brigdestones have better grip, the GSD3 are meant to be a step forward from the GSD2 though.

AFAIK Alfa changed from Goodyear to Bridgestone as O.E.M. tyres for the GTA

#14 ·
I have Falkens on My coupe, they put down 260bhp and 255lbft of torque extremely well even in the wet. I actually think they are better than the Goodyears GSD3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.