Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What oil should I put in?

Tags
oil put
4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  FredDibnah 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I recently bought a 147 2.0TS and am aware that they eat oil (am just about to go check what level its down to from last weekend) - but what should I top it up with? Given that I have minimal knowledge of engine maintenance!

#2 ·
Do a search as there are very many threads on this subject and just about as many opinions!. Look for threads by 'Oilman' as he knows his stuff. They don't necessarily eat oil, many do, some don't. When I bought my daughter's 147 for her I nagged her about checking the oil every weekend/long trip/fill up but her's does not use very much at all as it turns out.

#4 ·
If you can, check the service history to see if it states what kind of oil was used at the last change. Ideally you'd use the same exact brand, but at least make sure you use the same grade. It'll most likely be 10w40 but it's worth checking because mixing grades isn't really ideal.

#5 ·
The brand of oil isn't critical.
It is however very critical to make sure there is oil in the engine.

Far too many have failed because owners just haven't checked the oil level between services.

#8 ·
I thought it was 'Selenia' or however you spell it-
named as the one to use in the back of the actual 147 owners book/ manual?
That is because a few years ago FL Selenia was owned by the Fiat Group.

The make of oil is far less important than ensuring there is actually some oil left in the engine.

The recommendations often tie in with whatever the respective race teams are using or are sponsored by. ie Ferrari used to spec Agip, now they spec Shell.
The Ford group (inc Ford, Jag, Aston, Volvo, etc) probably currently spec BP/Castrol.
Even though the oil in the race cars will have no relation to anything you can buy in the shops.

#13 ·
Thanks dude that looks quite a reasonably priced range!

Well looking at the list, the last stuff I got was the-

----------------------------------

Tutela Jarama 5Ltr (Semi Synth)
Engine Oil.......(Suitable for Petrol & Diesel Engines).

Part Number: S4P1764
Manufacturer: Fiat Lubricants

Listed Price: £11.82
Our Price: £10.05
You Save: £1.77 (15%)
Please note that All Prices Exclude VAT.

-----------------------------------------

on that site, is that the correct stuff?

What about the 20K stuff, is that still 10W/40?

Apart from being a load more expensive!

Can the two be mixed anyway?
For a top up I may as well get the same stuff, but for next time, should I get the 20K Selenia?

Cheers!
:thumbs:

#14 ·
Actually, after postage and VAT,it comes out like this-

------------------------

Subtotal: £10.05
Shipping Cost:
for UK Mainland £7.95
VAT: £3.15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: £21.15

which isnt all that cheap really!!!

:eek:

#15 ·
Yes, but at least you get it delivered to your door and hopefully comes with good provenance. Few places sell it more cheaply and this only helps if its less than 10 miles from where you live.

I've always bought my Selenia from shop4parts. The oil level in my 145 that I had for 10 years barely moved in over 150,000 miles!

#17 ·
Thanks people!

RBaron which grade Selenia do you use please?

barachello thanks but the link didnt work! thankyou anyway!

Actually on further inspection it isn't that bad a price, just expensive delivery but I guess it is heavyish stuff!

Well upon taking the empty bottle to a garage, their wallchart of selenia oils specced for my 147 2.0L T-Spark, 'Selenia Racing', which is 10W/60!

They didnt have the oil I've got in my engine, I think it was old stock.
The Selenia 20K is 10w/40.

The chap said he'd never heard of it, one of the mechanics had, and they suggested nipping to the Fiat garage (this is in Derby) as they used to have the Alfa franchise)

The chap there recognised the stuff and would have to order in an immense amount if he ordered some in.

He said the 10w/40 is fine and that they used to use it a lot on all the Alfas there.

I found the stuff anyway on Fiat Parts and Alfa Romeo Parts from Shop4Parts

, and the oil has now changed its name to Tutela Jarama for some reason.

Fiat Parts and Alfa Romeo Parts from Shop4Parts

Anyway, its just top up I need so I will get this this time round, may look at something different next oil change.
My car seems to drink a lot of oil and the stuff only comes in 5 Litres
so thats ok.

Is 10w/60 thinner stuff or thicker then?

for 1.6 147s they are specced the Selenia 20K which is 10w/40

Confusing!!!

#18 ·
I have used Selinia 20K for the last 4 years but recently it has been harder to source. All the usual places seemed to have stopped getting it. I went all over for my last two litres, so recently I have used Magnatec of the same grade, semi synthetic. Just hope the car works as well on it as it has with Selinia 20K.

I use about a litre every 1500 miles ,which I'm told is normal!

#19 ·
Any idea on the eatage of oil for a 2.5 V6? Assume it does occasional long blats with a few short runs inbetween.

More to the point, is 10W40 (Total, I have some left from my old car) alright to stick in? Or should I get something more expensive/better?
I am very careful about checking oil levels everyweek, so I am curious as to the rate of cosumption.

#23 ·
Hi,
if you aint sure whats in the sump then go buy yourself an oil filter and a gallon of selinia 20k which is recomended for the job or any good quality fully synthetic oil will be just fine.
Dont go bying full synth and adding it to what could be mineral oil as they dont mix n make an awful mess in your sump or visa versa. best way to be sure is to give it an oil change then u know what you've put in so you know you cant be wrong when topping up. Besides, an oil change is never a waste of time or money !!!!!!!!!

#24 ·
Don't go buying full synth and adding it to what could be mineral oil as they don't mix n make an awful mess in your sump or visa versa.
I agree there is no point buying top spec oil @ £15 a litre just to top up.
But all modern oils mix with anything on general sale now.

The exception is the old style Caster based oils which don't mix, but they also have an extremely short life so they wouldn't be in there anyway.

#25 ·
Its a myth that TS engines all use oil.. some do but some do not, and the number of engines behaving well is greater than the oil eaters. Engines that use more than a litre 1000km are ill.
Use 10w60 full synth and all will be OK, which brand is not an issue, they all have to comply with specs given by the industry.

#26 ·
Absolutely.

Still worth checking the oil though, even if you have an engine that doesn't use any.
Mind you, I'm from an era when it was completely normal to check the oil level in the engine.
As there is no oil level check in a Playstation, the routine isn't getting taught to young drivers these days!

#27 ·
I had an Alfa mechanic tell me that the TS engine is designed in such a way that it sprays oil onto the piston crowns to cool them, and the oil evaporates or vaporises on contact with the piston. He said that it reduced the emissions. Don't know whether that is true or a load of cobblers.

My dad has an Audi A6 2.4 V6, which he has had from new. He uses more oil than me, and that is fully synthetic at about £15 per litre. He went back to the dealer because he thought something was wrong with the car and they told him to read the manual. It says that it is only a problem if it uses more than a litre every 1000 Km (that is about every 600 miles).

Some cars are meant to use oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.