Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Selespeed pump doesn't prime anymore.

5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Escy 
#1 ·
I've got a wiring fault I think. I've got a 147, it's had an intermittant problem that seems to come along when the car gets hot.

Recently, i've noticed that the selespeed pump doesn't prime anymore when I open the drivers door.

As soon as I put the key in the ignition, it will pump.

I've checked the relay and it seems to be fine. There are 4 wires behind it. Earth, battery live, live to the pump and a trigger wire. If pull the relay out a bit I can check the voltage of the trigger wire. It's about 1.5 volts when the door is open. I don't think thats enough, does it need 12v? If i run a wire from the battery to the trigger pin on the relay, it runs the pump.

#4 ·
The door switch is fine, the interior lights and the dash all light up when the door is opened.

When I close the door, the 1.5 volts on the trigger wire slowly drops to zero as the interior lights slowly dim.

Is there a workshop manual for these cars?

My 147 has started messing up badly recently, it keeps dropping me into neutral and sometimes I need to pull over before it'll select a gear again. I thought it might be related to whatever this problem is but i'm a bit unsure now.

G
#5 ·
There must be a common factor in that if it runs intermittently from he door sw. and runs intermittently from the pressure sw. (ie when the cars driving) then sounds similar to the pump/pump brushes failing.

#7 ·
I can't find any PDF files on his website.

It doesn't run intermittantly from the door switch, the pump has completely stopped doing anything when I open the door. It did pump once yesterday but it was for about 3 seconds rather than the usual 10 - 15 seconds.

Where is the pressure sensor located? The previous owner had one fitted. I think the error code was C1460 and it was something to do with the ESP. Does that make any sense to anyone? I think it's nothing to do with the gearbox.

G
#8 ·
escy,

You appear to have a number of 'selespeed ' threads running all with similar issues, you also seem to be a 'hands on' type of person, why not try the 'brush change' fix as pointed out on the other threads as it appears to be of minimal cost, it might at least eliminate one particular possible cause of the problem and allow you to concentrate on what might be wrong..... it could even fix it, you never know your luck, I hope you get it sorted as these things can be quite frustrating.

#9 ·
That is something I have considered doing. I need to make sure I source the correct brushes before I pull my pump apart. I don't actually think the pump is at fault. I think it may be this electrical problem and also was thinking it could be the acculumlator not holding the pressure long enough. I had ordered one of these but it's on a huge back order, none in the UK or Italy apparently.

It's a shame that people don't really know alot about selespeeds. I'm learning, but slowly. I could do with getting hold of a scrap actuator and pump and stripping them.

#10 ·
If you go to a suitable electrical factors, you should be able to source ones of similar dimensions, and then rub them down to size, on a parallel
block with 'smoothish' emery cloth attached. Same applies to shape/bed them in, on the commutator segments. You may have to alter the shape
of the area where the brush springs attach to, but a satisfying repair if you can achieve it.:): Where there's a will, there's a way?:D

#11 ·
I might give it a go but like I said, i'm not convinced that I need to re-furb the pump. Can someone do me a favour and measure the voltage of the trigger wire when the door is open.

On my 2001 147 Selespeed, the relay is under it's own black cover, on the side of the battery tray, just above the main selespeed loom plug. It's a blue wire with a brown (or maybe red) trace.

I'm pretty sure the voltage from that is too low but not sure what'd cause it to be low. Where would the earth be? Is there a fuse/relay for all of the things that come on when the door opens? (interior lights, dashboard display)

#17 ·
I can't access the door switch easily I think it's something to do with the lock mechanism and the door needs to be stripped to get at it. I'm sure it works as the interior lights come on and the dash display is triggered.

I've been thinking, will there be a feed from the drivers door, going into the selespeed ECU and then that is what sends the trigger to the relay for the pump? I can't find any decent wiring diagrams for the selespeed.

I've seen the stuff on 156 2.0 JTS Selespeed Schematics
and can't make it out really. I'm rubbish at reading wiring diagrams.

What I could really do with is someone measuring the voltage for the trigger wire. Does a trigger wire usually have to provide 12v's?

#19 ·
my 156 selespeed's showing similar symptoms but my pump doesn't prime at all even when I put the ignition on so I'm stuck. At least It packed up at home and not miles away! Couldn't find a relay listed for the pump in my handbook so I'll go out and have a look round my battery tray and see what I can see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.