Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 or 2 folding mirrors...

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Gianpa 
#1 ·
Hi all

The driver side mirror on my 1999 166 Super folds at the press of a button... the passenger mirror never has folded in, and to be honest I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be, i.e. the driver mirror which when parked and is exposed to traffic folds but the passenger mirror didn't. (Like VW parking lights)

But recently I keep seeing a 166 2.0 and both his mirrors are always folded... so either he has a real mirror phobia and is folding them in by hand every time he parks... or else I need to get a screwdriver out and start dismantling my passenger side mirror!

#3 ·
Yes, both mirrors should fold in on the 166, Buell (nice bike, incidentally ;) ). A lot of newer cars now fold the mirrors in when the ignition is switched off and fold them out when ignition is switched on. I'm sure it would be possible to wire it up that way on the 166, if you're into electrics!

#5 ·
my driverside one will will at the push of a button if i help it a little, and then it clicks and flicks back a bit, my guessing is that the wheel that moves it has slipped.

has anyone actually taken them appart to look inside? any advice?

#7 ·
ooo - that would be clever...to be honest it's proably not that difficult....relay wired into the central locking motors would so the auto flip, relay from ignition for flip out, relay from the reverse light to activate the looking down....although you'd need to have some way of bring it back up to where it was. Does the memory function do stuff to the mirrors? Might be a way of tapping into that cleverness...

#8 ·
All those things on your wishlist would be possible, I'm sure. My father's old Scorpio used to have auto tilting when reversing and also adjusted the mirror position, depending on the seat memory setting. And that was over 10 years ago! Who's an electrician on the forum?!

#14 ·
Don't go there, the offside mirror carries the climate detector and my attempt at a re-wire rendered it useless so I had to admit failure and give up. To be perfectly honest, if it doesn't enhance the performance or attract busty blondes, why worry about something so insignificant?

Best regards, RayG.

#19 ·
Hi, sometimes when I press the 'fold' button for my 164 mirrors only the driver's side one responds. Then I press the button again (harder this time!) and the passenger mirror gets the message, wakes up and folds too - so maybe start by having a look at (or getting a tame auto electrician to have a look at) the control switch itself, since it has within it contacts for both mirrors, one of which may be corroded/dodgy/duff:) ....

#20 ·
Yours sounds a bit easier R-R, Look at it yourself - Open switch and give it a good clean, probably just some oxidisation (Is that a word!) on the circuit panel/connectors. A quick scrape and clean up has always worked on mine.

#21 ·
My mirrors weren't folding at all. I also had trouble adjusting the mirrors, bit of a hit or miss. After reading these forums I lifted the switch assembly out after undoing the two screws under the little rubber mat in the thingame holder. I found the plug at the back of the switch wasn't pushed all the way in. Everything else looked good. After pressing it in securley, all mirrors are operating correctly. Beautiful.

#24 ·
Twas the switch.

Opened it up finking it was something simple like a durty contact.........Aye wright........Blooming circuitry everywhere

With my poor pathetic eyesight cannae even detect what these wee bits are..Why does Alfa make a simple fing so complex.

Anyone else ventured in there .
On a Posidrive note DOH I got a working copy of elearn .Don't know how I did it but I did.

Where is Eco when you need him.

Pomeo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.