Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 156 v6 petrol smell from fuel pump

Tags
petrol smell
4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  gwinter 
#1 ·
Attached is a picture if what I have found when looking for the source of the smell. I read in the forum elsewhere that it could be a seal, but what I found in in the picture. Petrol flooded in the top of the pump. I fried that off then left it for a few minutes as I did other things. I got back to it and it had flooded again? I hadn't started the engine or put the ignition on either.
I am guessing the pressure in the fuel system has caused this?
And am guessing a new fuel pump will fix the issue?
Thanks for reading
Auto part Cuisine Food Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
It could be a leaking plug/valve . the black valve thats attached to the pump (fuel line top of the pic)
take it off and give it a cleaning , careful of fuel spray as it will be under pressure , so take it off with a rag over it.

When you have given it and the pipe it pushes on to a good clean pop it back on and turn on the ignition and watch it and see if it leaks still , if it does you will need to replace it

#3 ·
Just done that, and all that happened is the black elbow shot back a little bit when the pump worked back up to pressure. It doesn't leak though. The petrol looks to be seeping through the centre part from underneath it.

#4 ·
i have just experienced this exact thing last week,
in my case it was a tiny hairline crack in the plastic moulding at the bottom of one of the quadrants in the top of the pump. So the fuel would gradually fill all the quadrants and then spill over the side of the tank right near where the exhaust is, incredibly dangerous.
So I ended up replacing the pump assembly, they are about £110 on ebay, problem solved.
Sounds to me like you have a similar issue.

#6 ·
Interesting, I didn't know you could remove the top and bottom, but then again I don't have the pump out yet as I don't want fuel vapour all over the place. I have got a new pump on the way though so am just going to replace it and test, but thanks again for the message. I will update when the new pump is in.

#8 ·
Just had the same problem with my 1.8 TS. Looks like the same pump. There was a tiny hairline crack in the spigot, in the centre part. Essentially, this fills up with fuel and runs over the edge. I sourced a decent second-hand pump for £30 off Ebay, replaced it and all is good. A new pump is quite a lot of money! An easy fix though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.