Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Aux in for Alfa 159 MY2006

Tags
aux my2006
12K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Lasse 
#1 ·
This post applies to anyone with an Alfa 159 manufactured in 2006 and that would like an aux in for there MP3 player or phone. I've just fitted this to my standard HU and it works a treat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celsus-AUX2...qid=1431797831&sr=1-1&keywords=Celsus+aux2225

Needed:
1. Item linked above
2. An extension cable
3. A Drexel or an ability to remove a wire from an audio connector (I don't have this ability hence the Drexel)
4. Some garden wire to help pull the wire through to where you want it
5. A bright torch
6. Insulating tape
7. Cable ties
8. Radio removal pins (can be bought off Amazon for 99p)

Steps
1. Remove radio using pins
2. Rest radio against gear stick (I didn't disconnected the battery, I left the power cable connected)
3. Remove the top left cable group of connectors, includes a blue and yellow connector.
4. Detach the yellow connector and extract the brown wire (this is where the Dremel came in handy).
5. Insert the brown wire into the new connector (the Celsus cable) and reattach this to the group and insert back into HU.
6. Test that it works; this is where the extension is first used
7. Assuming it works you'll need to lift the gear stick cover (other posts cover this) and shine the light so you can see it to thread through some garden wire.
8. Use the garden wire to pull through the extension cable
9. Use the tape and cable ties to insulate the wiring and make sure the extension won't separate if pulled to hard.
10. Thread the wire through a safe area around the gear stick and reattach the cover
11. Reset the HU back in its cradle and jobs a good'un

To test press the CD button twice, it should say Aux. Bear in mind that you'll need to turn your attached devices volume to max

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone. Good luck.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had no luck with my grunt level HU - the yellow connector only has a pin out for a sub woofer. Did your HU have more pins for the yellow?
I tried a generic Aux blue connector in the empty slot but no joy. I've now bought a device to feed via the aerial cable but not fitted it yet.

Attachments

#4 ·
No grip: the Celsus cable I bought has two (maybe 3 - can't recall) wires coming out of the yellow end. However the slot which is currently being used (as seen in your photo) is empty. I basically removed this wire from the original connector (which was hard work hence the Dremel) and inserted it into the new connector.

In answer to your question. No my connector looked exactly the same as yours.

V8VANTAGE: I can't comment on the Brera HU but I'm sure there's loads Of advice in the ICE section of the site.

#17 · (Edited)
Just bought this Celsus product for my 2007. It's the second time I try installing an aux-cable, the first one went wrong and I lost the taste for it.

Could anyone please explain what a Drexel is? Google search only shows up dremel tools, which I doubt is the tool needed for this case...

#27 ·
I bought the yellow mini iso cable with RJA. I couldn't just add the brown pin to the new block because there were a lot wires so I just did a straight swap. The Aux. worked fine when I selected Media but obviously the blue&me didn't work.

The blue mini iso had not pins used and by the looks of it had spare audio outputs so this will be my next investigation.

I also had a spare USB behind the radio. I tried plugging in the USB stick with music into it and it appeared to work just like the one in the glove box. Any idea what this USB is used for?

#28 ·
I have the cable somewhere at home. When I found out I had to swap a wire over I just used the iPod/changer cable I used in my previous GT. If required you can then get a cheap adaptor which converts 30pin Apple to Lightening. Break off the lightening connector if you must and you have 3.5mm headphone plug :)

Easy for me as I had the aforementioned cable which tend to be a bit more expensive than the AUX cable.

#30 ·
Just did this, with the Celsus tool as listed in the OP - but without replacing the brown cable. I simply removed the yellow pit, put in the new part that came with the Celsus tool, and noticed that CD, radio and AUX all worked out nicely. Pulled the cable nicely and hidden in the list on the passer foot well and it's working magnificent - all in all, a 5-minute job. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.