GT just keep billowing black smoke under load

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  baxter2308 
#1 ·
Hi all,

i am really struggling with my GT throwing out black smoke a lot
i have replaced the EGR valve
i have replaced the upper and lower hoses
i have had the car fully serviced including the air filter
i have thrapped the car in low gear and high revs with the black smoke never ending

it does it under load when pushing on, it puffs a cloud when i pull away in traffic, if while driving along i drop a gear it brings on a master control unit error message, the car still drives fine and after a couple of days the error clears itself.

I have had the faults read and cleared, i have had the EGR valve tested and it is fine you can hear it operate. please help i don't know what else to do :(

thanks, JuvUK

#4 ·
its most likely VNT related , you have ruled out everything else, either the vanes are sticking or they are not being actuated either because the vac hose is leaking or the solenoid switch is faulty..

the only other things can be MAF or MAP sensor or even a lambda fault but I doubt its this, physics 101, combustion is air and fuel at as close to a stoichiometric ratio as possible, the fuel injected is designed to ensure the correct ratio is achieved based on what the ecu thinks the turbo will provide at any set RPM....as you are getting unburnt fuel (smoke) either the fueling is too high (unlikely) or the air provided by the turbo is insufficient to ensure a complete burn, where a forced induction is concerned the turbo and its correct operation is the obvious place to look if all the other usual suspects have been ruled out.

so if you are 100% sure MAF and MAP sensors are operating as they should be then the next place to look in order of ease and expense, is the vac hoses, then solenoid switch and then finally the turbo itself.

P.S get rid of the EGR and have it mapped out..it causes nothing but trouble.

best of luck with it..:thumbup:

#6 ·
Well, had the same issues with my y reg 2.4.

Replaced the MAP (off EPay but old one gets cleaned) as it was COMPLETELY gunk'd up and blanked the EGR. Couple of short runs and woohoo no more smoke and the power back...

So try the MAP first (one bolt) and clean it. Remove the Turbo-to-Intake manifold hose, let the motor run and spray manifold cleaner directly inside to clean it of gunk. And yes blank the EGR and have it removed or live with the MCSF.

Axel

#8 ·
The MAF in the GT is a pain to get too...follow the air intake from the front of the car and you will come to it ..its between the battery and the block ..you will have to remove the engine cover to see it and its been a while but I think battery tray may have to come out too if you want to remove it a split in the intake hose could be causing some problems so check that too.

Re the vac hoses ,its easier on a ramp but you can jack the car up and secure it..(do not go under the car with just jacks holding it up) and you will see a hose coming off the vnt actuator ..its a circular thing to the left of the airbox...splits are not always obvious so just change it..3mm internal hose if I remember correctly.

Its all.do-able on the front drive but TBH if your not handy with the spanners you may be better off taking it somewhere..out of interest where are you based ?

#13 ·
Hello

Same here Black smoke and whoosh sound at 2000 rpm ( a short power dip) Garage thought it was the maf and or EGR..i bought a new MAF first and a 3 hole EGR mod plate :nothing changed after a week...Today i took a look under the car guess what the blue actuator to vnt hose was split+ a tiny hole in the turbo hose underpipe too...Just check it yourself you can safe a lot on "guessing advice parts purchases" Mine is a 2009 1.9jtdm 150hp 92000km...Not really a car to play with "knife and tape solutions"

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.