Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 with "croaky" clutch pedal

Tags
croaky pedal
9K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  alza2000 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 147 with a "croaky" clutch pedal. It seems to make this sound at the very top... just as you put your foot on or off the pedal.

Have tried to get the mechanic to use basic lube on it but it keeps coming back.

Any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Will

#31 ·
Hi Martin, the only difference between my car and one of your is that I have the driver side on the left , but that should be the only difference , right? One question though; the pedals are positioned the same way on UK cars, right? I mean (starting from the left) clutch , brake, acceleration...? :)
I'll try to take some other pictures, maybe that will help..:(
Thx!

later edit: I think the parts are covered in plastic in my car...:(

#34 ·
Finally got round to greasing my clutch peddle. I must say those pics were invaluble.
Worth putting this thread as a 'sticky'???

Also used some spray on white grease from Halfords (6 quid) with the straw attached it made greasing everything up a doddle.

Still had to contort myself a bit though. :lol:

The creaks are no more though :) :thumbs:

#35 ·
Hi there. I just fixed my squeaky clutch pedal on the GT.
The problem is with the inner metal bush that fits into the centre metal insert of the rubber bush fitted to the clutch master cylinder push rod.
This inner bush turns and slides making the squeaking noise.
The solution: I got a second hand master cylinder from a dealership (this unit was replaces because of a leak, not because of the bush) and replaced the entire rubber bush that had the inner metal bush still tight.
See photographs. Working inside the car remove the pin on the shaft that goes through the push-rod bush and twist the push-rod away (it has a ball joint!, no problem in doing this). Now follow the pictures.
Not too comfortable position but not difficult to do. Don´t forget to grease the inner metal bush and the rod that goes through it. Problem fixed.
If you cannot get a second hand master cylinder... a new one is not expensive.
Also notice that there is a new pin design available. Mine broke and this triggered in me finally attending to this irritating squeaky noise!

Attachments

#39 ·
Hi guys,

Just to say I followed the advice a few replies up with White grease for £5.99 from Halfords and squirted at the three points outlined on the photo. Squeak gone - might have to be repeated every 4-6 months but don't fancy replacing the inner metal bush as identified. Too many suspension things to fix!!!

#43 ·
i had this exact problem this weekend, solved it exactly as described before, pull back the rubber boot and lube it up! i used white sprayable white grease, worked lovely! ...... probably wont be smiling when my slave cylinder fails and all im doing is covering up a more serious problem!:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.