Alfa Romeo Forum banner

No rear breaks after pad change

Tags
pad
874 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  halftone 
#1 ·
147 Jtdm. 2005

Changed breaks and pads this afternoon on rear

Wound in piston on both using tool with resovoire cap off. Fluid overflowed ever so slightly and was brimming

Put all back together. Popped top back on resovoire pumped pedal about six times pedal normal.

However I went to check resovoire and it's still brimmed . . . Hand break does not work and zero marks etc on the new disks so I don't think my calliper Pistons have released

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers

Bm

#2 ·
Handbrake system and the hydraulic pedal system are completely separate.. You can have a total failure of one, and the other should still work completely normally.

Did you re-set the tension in the handbrake cable after changing the pads?

Needs doing after the first few hard pedal pushes to set the pads against the discs.

#3 ·
"Brimming"? You need air space in the brake fluid reservoir else for the brakes to work properly once the cap is on. No air space means the master cylinder will struggle to draw fluid to compress. Air is elastic, fluid is not. You should siphon out any excess fluid above the max line. If no siphon, clean paper towel will soak it up (but don't let it drip on paint, or hot exhaust - it can ignite).

I've not yet tangled with AR brakes but I have seen an overfilled reservoir pretty much stop brakes from working. There is usually an air bleed hole to prevent the fault, but not always, and also they can get blocked.

There is probably more to what's going on here, pads not seated properly or something...

#4 ·
I think I may have panicked too soon. Hand break now working. Also after popping out for a ten minute drive around the village got back and I can see where the pads have been working on the discs. Also discs warm to the touch not hot though. So save for the fluid check I think all is good!

Must admit I'm really pleased with the exceptionally quick advice so a huge thank you making s new Alfa and new forum member feel very welcome

Cheers

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.