Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Suspension Grind

Tags
grind
1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  joeymannero 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum so apologies if this isn't in the right section.

I purchased a 2004 GT 1.9JTD last October and loving it but over the past few weeks I have noticed an almost grinding noise coming from the front suspension.

When its cold outside the noise is noticeably louder and more often but once the car has warmed up / outside temp is warmer the noise is quieter and less common.

When its cold it happens over all dips / bumps but once its warmed up its just over sharp bumps.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers
Matt

#5 ·
Just as a side note on installing suspension components.
If you are installing arms with rubber bushes you should not tighten the bolts until the car is sitting at normal ride height(ie tyres on the ground or jack stands on the arms) otherwise you are effectively adding preload to the bush.
With urethane(the kind you have to grease first) you can tighten them while the suspension is lifted as the bush or ferule turns.
I'm not sure if this could be why some people are getting mixed results with the cheaper ebay components.

#6 ·
Finally got round to doing them last night. What a pig of a job!
Replaced the drop links while I was at it too as they are another thing prone to go wrong.
Got in the car this morning and the noise is still there.
Any other ideas what it could be? As you can imagine I don't want to just throw parts at it but on the other hand I want to keep it rather than sell.

Any thought appreciated.....

Cheers
Matt

#11 ·
Have a very loud creaking noise from the front suspension also. Took out upper arm bushes and lubricated them and no change. Seemed to occur with slight movement of the steering as well as over bumps so finally tracked it down to the lower arm baljoint. It was unbelievable how loud it was. Noticed a small nick in the rubber but the joint itself was tight. I injected some grease and although the noise did not disappear immediately After about 1 week it is largely silent. It can be hard to replicate the noise when the car is off the ground as I think the suspension needs to be under load for some of these noises to appear. Good luck with it.

#13 ·
It's only when the car is moving and worse in cols weather. From looking online it says even though it sounds like it's coming from the rear it's the front, but when I go over a bump it sounds like it's coming from both.
It doesn't seem to be getting an worse day to day, just louder in the cold.

#18 ·
Took it up to the garage today, went down the road and managed to replicate the sound. Got it up on the ramp and discovered the passenger side bottom arm was knackered and had loads of play.
Picking it up tomorrow evening and praying that's it for a while otherwise the car will be going.

#19 · (Edited)
Matt, these cars do go through front suspension at a rate, lowers have to be replaced anywhere between 30k (if you drive like a loon and live in a speed bump hot zone) or 75k (if you live on a golf course and drive like a grandad!) 60k is a good average though and most cars with a 100k plus will be on the 2nd set.

you can help by polybushing the uppers next time if you have OEM in there but aftermarket parts will not accommodate the powerflex bushes.

if you are running out of patience after a couple of wishbones then maybe Alfa ownership is not for you! its pretty much like painting a bridge with these as by the time you have done everything its time to start again.

droplinks will likely need doing at some point as well (I am on my second set in the cars life) and my next bit of work having replaced both upper and lower wishbones,ARB drop links and scrapped the whole OEM suspension set up shocks and springs for bilstiens and ARB's for eibachs ,will be rear transverse arms and subframe bushes.

this is addition to clutch and flywheel,EGR delete,swirl flap removal,(don't worry your cf3 04 does not have flaps) a new radiator, silicone turbo boost hoses ,vac hoses,MAF,MAP VNT actuator solenoid, one WCU unit, a door handle,Bonnet and boot badges,handbrake cables, 3 x full services including a new fuel filter, a reconditioned steering rack (as mine was one of the ones that left the factory with the wrong fluid) and track rod ends, performance front pads and racing fluid.

several bulbs and a full body undersealing.

now you may think I bought a dud...BUT

this was one with 70k on the clock with a FSH from a reputable dealer who did a full service and cambelt on purchase and I paid £5500 just over a year ago...car is and was cosmetically immaculate. the mechanical's are now as good as the body work, at the time of purchase after a thorough inspection and thorough test drive where I tried my best to ''uncover any faults'' it was all good as gold...problems did not surface until around 10k into owneship, which on my mileage is about 3-4 months..

its worth mentioning I have covered 35,000 miles in the time I have owned it so if you think of my yearly maintenance as being akin to what most would do in 3 it begins to make sense...and the roads in my area and on my commute are pony.

the car has also been re-mapped twice now, once with the egr delete to around 180 BHP which killed the clutch, replaced with a stage one dimpled jobbie and recently re-mapped again again when the hyrbrid turbo was fitted, now pushing around 220 BHP..

possible because my work mileage is now 10k a year..happy days:thumbup:

don't want to scare you but I think front suspension, a clutch and flywheel and the odd unexpected is to be expected from a 12 year old Italian car, I run two fiat coupes as well and its just par for the course with the way these cars are engineered.

in fact i can't think of many 12 year old cars that won't require a bit of fettling in the first few months of ownership.

good luck with it..:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.