Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Wading Depth

Tags
wading
3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lussoman 
#1 ·
After driving along the sodden roads of Kent/Sussex today I'm wondering whether our cars have a wading issue. Since the air filter is so low down, although I'm not sure where the inlet it, is there a danger of scooping up water and locking the engine?

#3 ·
The actual OEM intake is quite high BUT the OEM pipework is leaky at the jointings, particularly around the base of the air filter which is relatively low. It is a bumper off job to seal them properly.

#4 ·
Simple solution: Do not drive through standing water. :tut:

Taking a detour or waiting is much preferable to hydrolock or messing up the electronics.

Most modern cars have intakes much lower down than used to be the case, not to mention all the electronics.

#5 ·
How low are we talking?
I need to change the air filter anyway but this 'avoid standing water' can be awkward living in Manchester :lol:
Water depth then? 6" or less?

#10 ·
Rule of thumb is top of the alloys if the car doesn't have a low
air intake and you don't mind wet feet.
LOLs.

a couple of years ago there were a few comments on here about water damaged/hydro locked engines.
IIRC the rule of thumb is no deeper that 6inches in a 159/brera/spider and that has to be slooooow so not to cause a bow wave effect.

Even splashing through less than that has caused issues.

Unless you don't mind a write off on your insurance, for a 1.9 with an M32 gearbox it could be a good option.....

Axe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.