Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Thoughts about 3.2 Brera S

Tags
thoughts
3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  JamesL 
#1 ·
Hey guy complete newbie here and looking to take the dive on buying my first alfa but if you guys can give any advice it would be much appreciated.

Anyways I've been looking quite a lot into the 3.2 Brera S and know that this will be a decision mainly of the heart rather than the head. My hunt through autotrader has picked up a few but this is the only example I can find near my ways Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 JTS V6 S 3dr
Is there anything I should be looking out for? Am I made to spend the best part of 13 grand on a second hand Brera? Should I be looking at getting a standard Brera and building up to an S?

Argh anyway cheers in advance

#2 ·
It is a bit expensive for a car with 77K but it does look good. You cant make an S, only a JTS with bits added on. Besides its likely to cost more than the real thing.

#6 ·
You cant make an S, only a JTS with bits added on. Besides its likely to cost more than the real thing.
the alloys are different, No electric seats, not an original CD player and it has brambo brakes.

As I said before I'm not sure what the diffrence with an S is. But it's the same BHP and 0-60:jester:
what is an S though really? its is a jts with bits added on. same engine/spec with different suspension/wheels/added badges.

personally couldnt justify paying that much for one when a regular jts can be had for half that.

#3 ·
Hey Phil

Good decision. You will find a lot of people saying bad things but I would not change mine for any other car (at the moment) I've Owen it just over a year and the only problem I have had is two ignition coils at £74. When you look at buying I would not be too picky for the Bose sound system and satnav. I spent along time to find an original with them installed and it's not worth it. Apart from that normal stuff. look through the service history and check that it's upto date. If it's due a full service with timing it can be expensive. I'm not sure on the Brera S as I only have an original 3.2 V6 JTS Q4. But some had the panoramic roof but were closed over inside. I have heard of people cutting this out so its open all the time.

Hopefully I have been some help

Any more Questions I can hopefully help

Cheers:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#4 ·
Seems expensive for the high mileage but you do have to pay for the S. Regarding the 3.2 V6 I drove one last week and thought it was great (and that had done nearly 200k miles). It was the 4wd version but with the revised wheels and suspension on the S I would think it would be bloody great..

The only downside I've heard about is the £2500 cost of a full cam chain replacement. Best keep the oil changes frequent..

Oh, and the eye watering fuel consumption..

#5 ·
Sorry just noticed that you added a like to auto trader.

I would say that's a bit expensive considering I have the Brera 3.2 V6 JTS Q4 I payed £7500 and the only big differences I can is the alloys are different, No electric seats, not an original CD player and it has brambo brakes.

As I said before I'm not sure what the diffrence with an S is. But it's the same BHP and 0-60:jester:

#9 ·
Heres what a Brera S is:

Alfa Romeo Brera S

You can buy some bits and add onto your standard Brera, but it will cost a sight more than the genuine article and with only 500 genuine Prodrive Brera S models made they will always fetch more than a regular JTS even ones which have had an additional £2-3K spent on them.

That said, a regular Brera is a stunning car.

#10 · (Edited)
What's adding the value to the S is the "Prodrive" tag because Prodrive are well known in Motorsport also the fact the platform was improved over the SV model, not by much though there's only so much that can be done to improve the SV Brera. If the car was designed from the ground up by Prodrive & Alfa Romeo, then yes i can see where that extra money is going. But it was the Subaru Impreza that made Prodrive the house-hold name, not the Brera. Apparently £1,000,000 was given to Prodrive by Alfa UK to help shift 500 cars

#11 ·
Anyone know how many of the 500 Prodrive's were 2.2 vs 3.2?

I'd have thought the 3.2 Prodrive's aren't that common. Prodrive taking a 2.2 JTS and fiddling a few bits isn't as big a deal as dropping the 3.2 lump into a 2.2 body, or stripping the Q4 running gear out of the 3.2 body.

Equally I have seen very few 3.2 S's for sale - I think all of the S's I've seen for sale over the last few months have been 2.2.

Parkers suggests the 3.2 S loses 65kg weight and 10 g/km of CO2, gaining 1mpg and 0.2 seconds in the 0-60 sprint. Seems strange that the Q4 system seems to gets blamed for sucking out some of the power from the V6, yet the 2 wheel drive version doesn't seem to have lost much weight, or gained much speed.

#15 ·
Parkers suggests the 3.2 S loses 65kg weight and 10 g/km of CO2, gaining 1mpg and 0.2 seconds in the 0-60 sprint. Seems strange that the Q4 system seems to gets blamed for sucking out some of the power from the V6, yet the 2 wheel drive version doesn't seem to have lost much weight, or gained much speed.
I would miss the Q4, the push out of a corner is what makes the difference for me against a FWD car.

Saying that it would be good to have the opportunity to try them back to back to really understand the difference especially against a Q4 with a suspension upgrade. The upgrade on my Q4 made a world of difference. After all it's never going to be an all out sports car.

#12 ·
Quick google shows Veloces are also selling a 3.2 V6 S (2008) at the moment. Sat on 75k, priced at £11,750. Although the ad says it's 185bhp I assume thats a typo.

There is also a 2.2 S (2009) on 53k priced at £11,990.

My understanding is Veloces have a reputation for pricing cars high and being happy to hold onto them for a while, BUT I don't know that first hand. If you wanted to confirm that I guess you could look at some of their other adverts and compare those cars to other vehicles on autotrader etc.

Their ad says the V6 is one of 250 (as it does for the 2.2) so perhaps they produced them equally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.