Alfa Romeo Forum banner

underdrive crank pulley

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  David C 
#1 ·
Anyone heard of the lightwieght underdrive crank pulleys ?

Are they any good?

any suggestions?

G
#2 ·
Yes, but it sounded like You really have to know what you are doing..Often a crank is balanced using the OEM pulleys to even out vibrations or unwanted frequencies. I heard about this type of tuning last year, but knowing GTA engines has a balanced crank, I didn't think it would be of interest to me. Maybe this "technology" has progressed a lot lately? Intersting concept!

#3 ·
I wouldn'y have thought it would make a lot of difference to be honest unless you have a very high state of tune.

The original pulley also has a damper built in which is like a ring of rubber, this cushions the drive and apparently if you use a pulley without it you can damage alternator, power steering pump and crank bearings.

I have also read about undersized crank pulleys as the concept here is that less torque is required from the engine to turn the auxillary belt. However unless your engine is revving fater you may have problems with battery charging, and other ancillaries.

#4 ·
I think you usually only go to a smaller main pulley for the aux belt if you are running considerably higher revs than std.
If you are using normal revs, especially on the road, you will just end up with a flat battery & power-steering & A/C that isn't working properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.