Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GTV CF3 2002 - help was doing 80 and my baby just stopped running

Tags
2002 stopped
1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Muz 
#1 ·
Hello Alfa friends I need your help please.

My GTV CF3 2L 16v has been good to me until yesterday. Was returning on a run back from Devon and all was well until suddenly at about 80 the engine just stopped and the dash lights came on on I coasted to the kerb. Wouldn't turn over so had I recovered to my garage.

On investigation belts look good and line up nicely and the head is also good but there is no compression. My mechanics investigation revealed number 1 cylinder was very bright and the plugs has failed but the others look normal. The engine was turned over starts then appears to lock up (a tight spot).

Current suggestion is open her up and commit to a potentially lengthy and expensive investigation with out much to go on.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks Mark

#3 ·
Do you mean that you've stripped down camcovers, fitted the 4 cam lock tools and brought cyl 1 to TDC by using a dial gauge and everything is still perfectly in time? Or you have just removed the belt cover and had a look at the cambelt visually?

Can the engine be turned through full rotations by hand?

You could try a leakdown test, which is forcing compressed air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, and seeing if it escapes the cylinder.

#9 ·
Hi, Two camlocks for a twinspark maybe pud thinks its a v6 with 4 camlocks and worth investigating. Two litre engines can be had for less than a head gasket rebuild these days £200 or so . My experience for what its worth is you can spend bundles repairing the devil you know and it still gives up a while later.Better off getting one that's not had issues and start afresh.

#10 ·
My mechanics investigation revealed number 1 cylinder was very bright and the plugs has failed but the others look normal.
Not quite sure what this means - please explain "bright".

Have either or both no.1 plugs failed? if so in what way? bits broken off and either fallen into the engine or leading to compression loss?

#11 ·
I had V6 on the brain, sorry. If its a Twinspark at least it makes it lots easier to fix. While you can get 2nd hand engines very cheaply these days, you have no idea if they will be any good or not.

#12 ·
Hi all

Thanks for your help so far - the car in being looked at today and compression test will be done and results posted - "bright" means it looked very clean inside and shinny and I understand that both plugs on cylinder one failed. I will send my mechanic this link and after today's full investigation I will report back.

Thanks

Mark

#16 ·
Feel for the op having had the stress of a 159 engine implode on me whilst driving. Have you been given a reason as to why the car might have dropped a valve?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.