Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 156 - Suspension knocking

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  gazza82 
#1 ·
I have started to be aware of a slight knocking from the front of my 156 when I hit a pot hole or go over a speed bump. It isnt too severe at the moment but wondered if its a recognised problem (worn bushes etc) and some idea of what to check before considering the local garage.

Any sensible suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

PC

#2 ·
No 1 on the list: Anti-roll bar drop links.

#4 ·
It's hard to find out unless the ball-joint rubbers on either end are split or perished.

One way is to simply change them ... if you run a search on the forum you will find most of us have had this a some stage. The other way is to undo one end on each, tie them and the no floppy anti-roll bar away and go for a gentle drive over some known holes. Trouble might be that in trying to release on end, you mess up the link and have to change it anyway.

There are also ball-joints in the upper wishbones which are known to wear as well as the bushes the arm rotates on and the lower arms. Could also be a loose bolt in there somewhere.

#5 ·
Thanks Gazza. I'll check out other threads.

PS: Neat website! Like the Idle Saga!!

As you obviously know your stuff (certainly a hell of a lot more than I do!) - what is the main differnce between the 2.0 TS and the 2.0 JTS? I often read threads about the TS and wonder whether my engine is similar enough to share the problem - or whether its completely different!

Cheers

#6 ·
TS has two sparkplugs per cylinder. JTS only has one. Think the second plug hole is used for fuel injector.

Thanks for the feedback on the website. Most of the info there is the result of trial & error ... and yes, TS & JTS share a lot, although IIRC later JTS engines have the electronic fly-by-wire throttle found on the V6 and sillyspeeds.

#8 ·
hi there, i agree with the last comments totally, the drop links are most likley problem, they sound a bit like going over a bump with the door not shut properly. its a light bobbeling sound as opposed to a clonk! these are the easiets thing to replace except it can be a bugger to loosen the nuts, i had to hacksaw through the bolt on the balljoint one of mine!! they are also the cheapest of options to replace if your not sure. you should be able to get them for around £13 or so each. where as any of the other components like lower or upper arms will cost any where between £45 and £75 per item and you need to do both sides in my opinion when ever you change a suspension component.

#22 ·
there are alternatives to buying complete Anti Roll Bar, EB Spares will supply a set of polyeurathane bushes for about £25 i fitted them to mine as they are very very hard wearing and i didn't want to have to change them out again in 40 000miles time as getting to them is a pig, also i have a cash acount at SC Spares they also supply the bushes only, interestingly they are just rubber and are the same price as the poly ones, no brainer eh? but i will say if you opt to change the bushes for poly ones and keep the bar (strongly recommended as you will save £50) you will have to drill the clamps apart (really easy instuctions in the poly bushes packet) then cut off the old bonded bushes(also really easy.)
Hope this helps guys.

#14 ·
Replacing the anti-roll bar is also a big joib as the subframe has to be dropped. Replace the droplinks and probably the upper arms first ... then the lowers should be more obvious and finally the a/r bar.

Mine's just clocked 117,000 miles and has had upper arms replaced twice (first replacements ball-joint rubbers failed), lower arms replaced once (although one of those has been replaced again and I replaced the mounting bolts as they had threaded!!) and two new sets of droplinks (same ball-joint rubber problem). A/R Bar bushes (touch wood) are fine.

Check also the drive shaft CVs. I had to replace an inner as the rubber boot had ripped open and lost all the grease/gained a lot of dirt!!

#16 ·
A pair of Front Anti Roll Bar Drop Links and a pair of Front upper Suspension Arms will cost £113.66 including VAT and delivery from www.shop4parts.co.uk

Add 3 hours labour @ £30/hour and you should be able to get the job sorted for £200.

Having said that, I'd get someone (Jus @ BMC) to look at it before I ordered any parts.

#23 ·
Hi folks. Just joined your fabulous website.
I've read this post with interest. I have just put in my 147 with similar problems... a knocking/rattling sound that only occors when I go over bumps. I got quoted £500 +VAT to get the front suspension arms replaced, so I'm not too happy. I am also convinced the sound is actually coming from the rear of the car!!
Any tips/suggestions what it might be if it is indeed the rear of the car?

#24 ·
Hi Vandee,as gazza82 said,I`d start with the front drop links as they`re the least expensive job at only £21/pair from EB Spares.I thought (with the centre exhaust bracket missing from my car) that was the problem which only happens at low speed or pot-holes,until I put the car on a ramp and had a look.Exhaust okay,noise coming from centre of car,then mechanic friend said the front drop links needed changing,said this because he could rotate them easily.(I think they should be stiff or have resistance on turning them?)
See my "front drop link" post from 3weeks ago in 147 lounge,if it helps.All the best :)

#26 ·
Knock probably will be.

The squeak will be the upper wishbones bushes drying out and rubbing on the long mounting/swivel bolt. It probably won't squeak in the wet if it is. You can try and lubricate the bushes, but you really have to strip the wishbones down to do it properly. It is usually a sign they are on the way out.

#30 ·
You can only get Powerflex replacement bushes and they are nearly as expensive as two new arms. I don't know how hard they are to fit, but my guess is they would need some sort of jig as they would have to be put on in the same position as the old ones or the stresses will be wrong.

You probably want to replace the arms anyway as the balljoints will be wearing if the bushes are gone. You can get arms from various places cheaper than the dealer and some sell them ready fitted with powerflex poly bushes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.