Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GTV gear linkage hell!

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulR 
#1 ·
Hello all.

My first post after a lot of lurking and soaking up experiences from people led to my purchase on Sunday of a beautiful dark green 1997 GTV twin spark. Been driving it and its just delightful. However, this evening I was reversing and when it came to engaing first there were no gears to be found... :eek:

There is a *tinkle tinkle* from the gearbox end under the bonnet when moving the gear lever fore and aft. Could this be a linkage that has popped off? The AA are coming to get it home after work tomorrow evening whne I am going to strip back the air intake and get a better look. Meanwhile, has anyone got a photo of this area on the top of the gearbox for me to puruse and consider until then? I've searched the forum and found no specfic posts like this, so obviously this isn't a 'model specfic', but more likely a rusty bracket broken through lack of oiling or summat. Any ideas?

Thanks chaps!

Tom.

#4 ·
Thanks for your responses chrisd_b and fantom alfa.

It's all fixed now! :D

The 'forward and backwards' gear linkage arm had no nyloc on the bottom, and had jumped out of the lever on the gearbox. Bought a M8 nyloc this morning and whaddya know, the gearchange is much much better than I thought it could be! Twinspark owners with play in the gearchange, check these bits out- maybe a nut is loose (lots of play) or a peg had jumped out and you have no gears...!

I've attached a pic of the pesky area...

:cool:

Attachments

#10 ·
What do you think is causing my gearbox to get gradually stickier and notchier as it gets warm? from cold the gear change is fine, no clunk, pretty slick, after 30 mins driving , can get very notchy...any ideas?....gear box oil is getting changed as a first step anyway..

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.