Alfa Romeo Forum banner

V6 purchase dilemma

4K views 65 replies 31 participants last post by  allandwf 
#1 ·
Hi all,

As a recent Giulietta QV Launch Edition purchaser - yes the matte grey one - the last thing I thought I'd be doing was wanting to buy a V6 GTV, but I do and I've always wanted one. A Phase 2 or the sublimely beautiful Phase 3.

There are two choices on here and on Pistonheads that I'm interested in and I need you good people to help me choose. It will be driven simply for pleasure at the weekends and is a purely emotional decision - I have no practical need for it.

Choice 1 - the Proteo Red, Phase 2, 125,000 miles, great pedigree, 1999, £3500
Choice 2 - the Black with Tan, Phase 3, 107,000 miles, good last two owners, 2004, £4100

What to do? I am drawn to the Phase 3 simply as a piece of art to own, but have heard that the Phase 2 is a more engaging drive.

Any views on these cars? Anyone know them? I'm desperately keen to keep the cost of ownership down, but know that good examples will only get more expensive to buy.

Many thanks,

Ben

See less See more
#5 ·
Personally I would go and look at both of them and drive them both. Then which ever one you choose, you know you chose the best option. I know when purchasing one of these it's with your heart rather than your head, as they are a stunning car. One day soon I hope to be in the same dilemma!
Good luck with your new purchase, which ever one you purchase.:)

#6 ·
I've been in contact with the guy selling the Black one as interested myself but really wont be in a position to buy anything until early next month. It seems like he is a big Italian car nut (aren't we all...) with a cracking looking 164 and a Maserati GT. For me, I'm not put off by the Phase 3 face - I think the P1/P2 just pips it but in Black it still looks great AND with the rarity of the 3.2 I'd probably plump for that, especially if you could get a few quid off (but just my humble opinion!).

#10 ·
I agree with this however as a recent purchaser of the GTV V6, I don't think you will be unhappy with either as long as they have been well cared for irrespective of things like mileage. Looks aside, it is all about the pull and sound of the beautiful Busso engine. It just so happens that the car is stunning as well although some might disagree with the PH3 nose.

#9 ·
Its nicer to link the cars so that people dont have to go looking...

p2 proteo red:

Used 1999 Alfa Romeo GTV S3 SPORTBACK TFSI QUATTRO BLACK EDITION for sale in Bucks | Pistonheads

p3 black:

Used 2004 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 LUSSO for sale in Teesside | Pistonheads

Now, the P2 is a much more cohesive design IMO, the p3 nose was not an improvement.

However.

The p3 has the 3.2 motor, and for that reason alone id be taking the p3 3.2. It also wins in the rarity stakes which will likely mean higher values in the future if you sell.

#13 ·
I think the p3 doesnt seem to look right with tele's. Also dont generally like the aero pack on the rear with no front splitter. the tan leather is nice. high mileage would be an issue for me. but they both seem looked after by good owners. proteo red has to be seem. I think its really nice if clean and shiny. When dirty it looks dated. black has its own set of problems as well.

both good cars.

#16 ·
True.

The p3 also gained stability control (just more to go wrong IMHO!)

#14 ·
There's more to the Ph3 than just the nose; the interior is different. The seats are a better design than the Ph2. The lighting is completely different, beautiful red backlighting in the Ph3 versus green in the Ph2. The dials have a different font & scaling. The centre console is slightly different. Then there's the engine; if you can Handle the fuel economy then the 3.2 is the obvious choice, although the engine covers in the black are not an obvious colour choice. The nose splits opinion. I prefer the Ph 2 front, but think it is more to do with the huge number plates we have in the UK, which makes it look slightly unbalanced. I would also add the black one from Jon's post above into the mix, 80k, autodelta kit, what's not to like. Good luck!

#18 ·
The ph3 is the sensible choice as its the rarer and more desirable one. And at that price is very reasonable.

Me personally the facelift nose is not for my taste sorry. Shame they didn't do the 3.2 in the ph2 shape best of both worlds then.

If you do go for a ph2 then make sure it's the Aeropack variant with the six speed box. Makes all the difference !!

#20 · (Edited)
If you do go for a ph2 then make sure it's the Aeropack variant with the six speed box. Makes all the difference !!
Sorry A6 but the 'Aeropack' was only an option of: boot spoiler, small black front lip spoiler & 17" Teledials.

Even Teles were never std but an option, although some disagree as there's a UK Alfa sales catalogue circa 99/2000 which states std fitment...they weren't, 16s were, but many chose Teles anyway. They also could've been specified by the UK dealers when ordering stock. I had this confirmed by an Alfa salesman from that period & also a couple of owners who bought later V6 cars which came with 16s fitted as std from new.

All V6s were 6 speed from approx late 1999, definitely during 1999 Ph2s were available with 5 & 6 speed. I actually prefer the 5 spd box, the 6 speed's nice but the top 3 gears are too close for my liking especially when down changing 'in a hurry'!

To the OP, if it were my choice I'd go for the Ph3, not for the extra power as it's hardly noticeable but because of rarity & I quite like the nose.

Clive

#24 ·
Theres certainly no accounting for taste ;)

#29 ·
Defo the phase 3. Only other 3.2 busso powered alfa I would like to own. If It was a few years ago when I had 2 gtas , I would have snapped it up, but I have a sensible head on now :( with another little one and lots of bills :(
Buy it before you regret it, they don't turn up often and I love the colour combo plus a load of money spent on it.

#34 ·
The ph3 just doesn't look right to me. All a matter of taste really. I am a big fan of the original design without spoilers - just lowered a bit with bigger wheels.
If you actually prefer the looks of the ph3 it will be the better choice for you because as allready mentioned above it is the last and best iteration of the 916.

It is your car and you have to like it. As you said it is an emotional decision to buy it. Just check for good condition. Milage is secondary if looked well after (imo) and style is personal taste.

You wont regret it. I do have a 159 Tbi and after investing a bit (TI skirts, eibach, TI 19 inch wheels, ragazzon) it is a (imo) beautiful car with a decent engine.
As soon as there is no more salt on the roads and the weather is good i wouldn't think of driving the 159 for a second. It is soon GTV time again and i cannot wait.
The GTV will feel ancient compared to your QV - gear stick with the distance of a lorry stick between gears. Huge steering wheel. But once you start reving that V6 or driving up some curvy road you will know why it still is the better car for driving quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.