Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your Classic Alfa today?

177K views 3K replies 104 participants last post by  anglospider 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
These threads work well in the other tech lounges so I thoughts I'd start one here:thumbs:

I'll start - connected up the new old stock White stripe rear lights on my S4 & refitted the battery. All works as it should:D

Ordered the domed / rounded style headlights for my car from Highwood Alfa ready for collection on Christmas Eve.

Weather permitting, will take the S4 out for the first spin in 2 months & the last one of 2014 on Crimbo Eve too:cool:

What have you done to / with yours then:confused:

Cheers,

#34 ·
Reconnected the CTEK & considered putting the roof up. Car lives in a secured garage with a de-humidifier so no rush.

#48 · (Edited)
I also started working on my heater last night (and today). Very similar picture. Guess we both need new valve diaphragms.

I also need a new fan/motor. That seems to be very hard to find (1969 1750 Spider). There is a Fiat fan that is easy to find that looks the same but seems to be set up for 2 speeds rather than 1. May be worth trying it out just to let folks know there is an alternative.

Attachments

#37 ·
Thinking about fitting my new heated seat cover and analogue "smiths like" clock that Santa brought me - any suggestions where to put the clock - I was thinking of the radio blanking plate (its just a piece of hard vinyl I knocked up last year) rather than the pukka expensive Alfa one

#38 ·
Perfect Sunday afternoon, rebuilding my carbs and drinking beer

G
#39 ·
Too cold/icy/wet to take the car out and have now developed a medical condition that will prevent me working on the car until after some minor surgery :( Was planning to start tidying/detailing the interior but that will have to wait.

#43 · (Edited)
Continued with the dashboard rebuild, should be all back together today. Then its fit the carpets and recover the second seat. Wont book the MOT just yet though.

#44 ·
Today will be continue with electrics (clean and spiral wrap bundles of loose wires), reassemble driver's cockpit (and lower dash).
Also to do, RH Carello headlight refit after reclaiming it, then cure and paint (shell) on LHS headlight.
DHL will be delivering from classicalfa the parts that will hopefully cure misfire and fix slight weep from camshaft cover.

#49 · (Edited)
today (snowing non stop for the last 3 days, so can't get out the garage!) I fitted a spare spark plug in the engine bay, rather like old vintage RRs or Jags used to have;)

Now, if I get a no start problem, I just pull it from its holder (a mercedes hose clamp of sorts that I had hanging around for about 10 years fitted both the plug shank and that hard hose perfectly!) and clip it onto one of the leads to check for spark......saves me unscrewing a sparkplug...

I know.....an idle mind (...and all that!)

G
#56 ·
Went for another drive today, starting to push her a little more. Just huge fun, absolutely loving the car. Also got her started on the third turn of the key, which is my best effort so far :lol: She definitely needs a new driver's side door seal though, will get that done when she goes back to have the head retorqued.

Will probably be my last drive for a couple of months as I have some surgery looming which will mean laying low for 6 to 8 weeks. Better get a battery conditioner.....

#58 · (Edited)
Got the dashboard completed over the weekend, onto the carpet now.

Attachments

#60 ·
new motor mounts, AC compressor belt, and radiator flush

Yesterday I installed new motor mounts and an AC compressor belt (the AC belt was missing when I purchased the car). I have to say, adjusting that front pulley with the 3 spacers/shims is a real PITA! I doubt if the AC will work, but I thought I'd install a belt and try it out. One less thing for the AC shop to have to source or monkey with when I ask them to get the AC functioning.

Whilst I had it out (to R&R the front half of the crank pulley), I decided to take the radiator into a local shop for a flush and pressure test. I hope they coat it with that nice semi-gloss black radiator paint before they give it back. If they don't, I'll have to just spray it myself before re-installing it. :)

#61 ·
Stuck my retrofit analogue clock (pressie from Santa) on the vinyl bit of the ashtray (after removing the Alfa badge), installed an aux socket (live feed from cigarette lighter) for my heated seat cover and fitted that. Will test it tomorrow when I head for Bristol ADC early morning, should be toasty