Alfa Romeo Forum banner

An alarming mystery on a ph1 GTV

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Stixy 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been really struggling to solve a problem on my phase 1 GTV. For no particular reason the alarm started going off at random intervals a few weeks back, both when I was driving it and when it was on the drive (much to my neighbor's displeasure).

After trying all the common fixes I found on here I decided I'd remove the thing. I've never had the remote central locking fob so I'd not be losing much anyway (for me, the immobiliser is the security feature worth having).

I started by taking the alarm siren out (under the drivers side right wing). This made no difference, I then realised it must have been the regular horn that was being triggered by the alarm. I first looked under the stereo on the passenger side - no alarm. I then looked behind the speedo / rev counter - still no luck.

Can anyone tell me categorically where bloody thing is!? I'm not really interested in fixing it, I just want to bin the b*****d!

thanks in advance

Jake

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll take the stereo out and have a look though I did have a good look in that area from both footwells (taking the carpet panels off) but couldn't see anything resembling a box, from what I remember, there was very little space behind the stereo when I installed it & I don't remember seeing anything there. I'll take a look anyway

#5 ·
Hi, finally had the chance to take a look at the car today. The alarm is still nowhere to be seen. I've now checked behind the speedo / rev counter, behind the stereo, in the passenger's and driver's foot well - I'm running out of ideas. Any other suggestions as to where it could be hiding?

thanks

Jake

#6 ·
Jake, it won't be fitted neatly it will be hanging somewhere or tucked/stuffed in a gap spmewhere in and around transmission tunnel going under dash.

Do you still have the alarm sensors fitted on windscreen pillars? If so follow black wire, as that will take you to the elusive black box.

#7 ·
ok, I've now realised that the alarm is non-existent! Must have been taken out years ago - I've found the wiring loom where it used to sit. I can only assume that the horn sounding randomly is due to a fault with the horn's wiring. Any ideas how I go about identifying the issue? Are there common weak points I should check?

#9 ·
Think this has been posted before, it could be a bad earth for the horn, do a search for steering column earth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.