Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Temp gage on zero all the way home

Tags
gage home temp
1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jwq 
#1 ·
Howdy all. Engine warning light came on on way home from work today and I've noticed that the coolant gage is on zero and the fan is on high all the time. Please advise. 3.2 v6 GT.:(. Coolant level ok.

#7 ·
It's the sender. Well documented in the GTA section. The thermostat is a valve. Nothing more and has no electrical link to the car so won't cause the error mentioned.

#9 ·
I've only ever seen the fans come on when there's a diconnection or a short in the temp sensor circuit, never with a failed thermostat or even running without.

It's even possible and in some cases to be expected that the engine cools down while driving, say on the downhill part of an alpine pass. the engine can be stone cold again by the time you reach the bottom!

#10 · (Edited)
I've only ever seen the fans come on when there's a diconnection or a short in the temp sensor circuit, never with a failed thermostat or even running without.

It's even possible and in some cases to be expected that the engine cools down while driving, say on the downhill part of an alpine pass. the engine can be stone cold again by the time you reach the bottom!
if you do a search on this forum, you'll find a number of cases ;)
f.i. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...-temp-needle-0-then-you-most-likely-need.html

G
#11 ·
Ironically when I took the car for a drive this morning after changing the thermostat last night, the fans still ran and gauge was still at the bottom. I went to the Auto Parts store and purchased a temp sensor, as soon as I started my car gauge was perfectly fine again. (Without installing the part)

So either the thermostat fixed it or my sense decided to start working, I guess I'll know in a week or two if it continues functioning properly.

Edit: Sorry to hijack your thread OP, I just have a 3.2 V-6 and had the same problem pop up this week, figured I would hop on yours over starting a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.