Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Drilling holes in a 156 bumper....

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zulu ferret 
G
#1 ·
Have acquired at a very, very reasonable price some rear parking sensors. Got to drill 4 x 21mm holes in the bumper. Not daunted by that at all but before I do and discover there's a bombproof reinforcing bar behind where the hole is going, has anyone else drilled a 156 sportwagon bumper like thsi?

If all else fails I will use the same positions as the factory fitted option but I'd like to bring the outer sensors round a bit more to pick up on rear three quarter obstructions better.

#3 ·
I spent more than a an hour or so, with the tail end of the 147 jacked up, before I finally decided where for best effect, and where for that matter no obstructions would baulk my attempt. Finally ended up using just three sensors, which have worked extremely efficiently for approximately eighteen months or so. Neither of us, wife and self, having reversed into an obstacle to date! Tempting providence again zf.:D :lol:

#4 · (Edited)
I would not drill the bumper. I fit the mircowave type of parking sensors and over the past 4 years have only had one faulty unit.

All you have to do is take the bumper off, stick a silver strip on the inside of the bumper, connect 2 wires and place the buzzer.

Works well and lets you get that little bit closer.
Works out cheaper than the drilled ones :)

Contact me and I'll sent you the link.

#5 ·
Actually, I didn't drill the bumper either, to fit the sensors!:): Just three 5mm holes, one under each of the reflector lenses, and then one under the number plate. These were to allow the three cables to feed through, the cables do not show at all, and the sensors are surface mounted using the adhesive pads, should I require to remove them. No visible signs of entry.:): All for less than £20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.