Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What to do with the Mrs' 147

Tags
mrs
905 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  scottyf 
#1 ·
Hi AO'ers

I'm at a loss as to what to do with the Mrs Alfa - It's got a few issues and not sure if they're worth putting money into, or if we should simply scrap it or sell it to a breaker (Does anyone even break 147's??)

It seems a shame that it would be scrapped as it's still a good car.

The Mrs has had it about 6 years, but only does about 3k miles per year so even though it's a 2002 it's only got 84k on the clock. It's got the 17's, bose upgrade and leather etc. In black and it's the 2Ltr.

About 3 months ago, got a warning light and rev's limited to 3k. Was cam sensor, so had this changed along with the belt. But the problem is still there, but only once warm. So you nip to the shop and all is well, but when you start it for the return journey it's limited to 3k rev's again. Cost around £250 in total and back to square one.
It also has a bit of an oil leak somewhere.
Also (She wasn't impressed when I did this) I borrowed it once and 'nudged' into the back of a tranny and the safety bar has broken the front bumper slightly.
Has a couple of small ding's here and there.

How much should I spend fixing it before just getting rid and getting another car is best?

Heartbreaking though as we paid over £3.5k for it at the time and it's been a great car with no real issues other than expensive service bills.

Some of you must have been in the same boat? What did you do and how did it turn out?

We buy offer £165, if I drop it off :confused::tut:

Cheers
Shaun

See less See more
#2 ·
Given the mileage etc its probably worth about £1200 Maybe a bit more depending on service history.
Most issues are cosmetic and the fact it won't rev over 3k is something simple I am sure.

With the issues I am sure if you stuck it out you'd get £1000 for it as is.

Don't despair I am sure someone would snap it up given the details you've said.
Black is also an easy colour to pick up a spare bumper for.

#3 ·
Reading between the lines, you still like the car. Sometimes its better the devil you know and unless youre buying brand new, you may just inherit someone elses bodges/shortcuts/lies.
Anyone local to you that has ecuscan? Might pay to plug in and see whats going on. Like scotty says, it may be something simple. Its running, so its not a fatal flaw. 3k a year whispers "bunged up cat" in my ears, does it get driven er, um, "spiritedly" as the twinny needs a good kicking every now and again.
Lovingly referred to as an italian tune up. :)
Oil leak is very probably the cam cover. Its renowned for it! Cheap and fairly simples to fix.

Metallic black or solid? Lots of metallic stuff out there, bumper isnt too bad to change but expect rusty nut syndrome underneath! :)
Dings? Ah, get the local chipsaway bloke on it if youre really worried.

#4 ·
Im of the opinion an 02 147 is worth 500-700 quid due to the current road tax charges.

The diag said the cam sensor was worn but the issue is also the crank sensor and the ecu seeing a discrepancy between the two thus showing the fault code. Simply change the crank sensor £35 and £25 labour problem solved.
On a lighter note im not far from Brighton so id be reluctant to write ive "nudged into the back of a tranny".My girlfriend would not be impressed.

#5 ·
I hear what your saying - but in all fairness I think we're talking about £300 of paint to sort the ding's out (As the paint has come off on both, not just a dint).
If the cam sensor needs doing again that's 4 hours labour and a £60 sensor.
It's also got round to time where it needs the upper wishbones changing (again).

All this to get it worth £600 ish. I wish I thought it was worth a grand, but surely not, they seem to go for peanuts these days.

We have a weighbridge scrappers at the bottom of our road - getting closer and closer to just dropping it off there, getting £150 and cutting losses.

I was maybe hoping it would be worth £300 or so to a breakers yard :(

#6 ·
Why would the cam sensor need doing again if it's only just been done ? If it wasn't done properly then take it back to the garage that did it and get them to repair it properly. And why bother fixing paint dings ? Hardly matter if you just want a run around. Touch it up yourself if you just want to disguise it a bit.

Are the wishbones knocking, is there freeplay in the wheels when you jack the car up ? If not there's no reason to change them.

Lot of breakers won't offer you anything if it's a run of the mill car that they get in by the boat load. Not sure if a 147 comes into that category.

#7 ·
Only reason I think it needs doing again is that the same fault is coming up - cam sensor so I'm guessing it either wasn't done correctly, the sensor was faulty or damaged when fitted.

Yeah there's play in the wheels - they've been knocking for quite some time.

#9 ·
If you are handy with a spanner none of those issues are hard to fix.

Don't feel back. Mine is an 01 Alfa 147 that now has a black bonnet compared to the rest of the car in green.
But its doing its job and getting me here and there. It just depends on what you want to do. Paint etc I am never that bothered about because well its a 13 year old car.

With a little money it could be back on top again. But if you feel its uneconomical then stick it on ebay or advertise it and get it to someone that wouldn't mind a project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.