Alfa Romeo Forum banner

HID - how does the self-leveling work?

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Cuore_Sportivo_155 
#1 ·
My new GT has HID's. They're nice: they give off a lot of light.

I have been wondering how the self leveling works - not at a very detailed level, and not because I have problems but purely out of curiosity. When I switch them on, they sort of dip down, up and come to rest somewhere appropriate. Regardless of whether the car is on a slope or on a flat surface. How do they manage this?

#2 ·
There are movement sensors on the front & rear suspension.
An ECU uses inputs from those to decide the correct level but they always start at the lowest level and then come up to the level calculated by the ECU.

#3 ·
Thank you! Goes a long way.

But it does not explain what it does when you turn on the light at a standstill, on a hill: no movement to be sensored, not on a level surface, but still the lights dip ad go up to a certain level (is that preset? And if so, how does it null itself?)

Inquiring minds wish to be tickled.

#5 ·
i dont know the system or have never had it in fact this thread is the first i have heard about suspension sensors but i presume that it it taking the place of the manual adjuster in non HID equipped cars, and wouls also presume that:

the sensors aren't looking for hills or the ground, but for compression within the suspension and will level the light in respect to the car. So therefore if they detect that the car is level it will put the lights in the normal position. but if the sensors sense more compression in the rear suspension (ie a heavy boot load) the nose of the car will be pointing upwards which means the lights will have to be leveled lower down so the correct distance is light up and other drivers not dazzeled.

#9 ·
Here is the pic of the adjuster system. The small thing that looks like ARB droplink. I don't have a complete picture but it is connected with a box on the sub frame giving suspension compression reading.

Attachments

#14 ·
Can the level sensor be used from others cars, it has no Alfa code, just something labeled
" >pa6-gf50<
0 307 865 007
manufacture date"

And the system is universal, bracket for sensor cuold be chnaged, sensor arm has 3 holes, link to suspension is seperate too. Any thoughts ?

#15 ·
Front level sensor: 46798888 (old p/n 60801884)
Rear sensor: 46781787 (old p/n 60817016)
Sensor link rod: 60679378

Q4 used different parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.