Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Silver Wing Mirrors

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Jason 156 
#1 ·
Hello All.
Could someone please advise me whether or not silver wing mirrors would look good on my 56 reg 147 TI ? Metallic Black - or would it look tacky ? I have left the car alone, all original ! but this keeps playing on my mind. And also , does anyone know where from ?

Many Thanks

Graham
West Yorkshire

#2 ·
What do you mean by silver? Do you mean silver paint or do you mean the polished chrome look that you get on Audi S3s?

Personally, I prefer a single colour all round, but if I really had to, it would have to be polish chrome. Silver paint would look (in my opinion) terrible and really jar.

#4 ·
Momo was making chromed covers. I am not sure if it is true, but I heard they stopped their production few months ago. Maybe you can find some old stock.....

Now Alfa is making similar for the GT. It might be optional trim I don’t know, but I have seen them on motor show. Your Alfa dealer should be able to order them as a spare part.

Attachments

#6 ·
I dont get that:confused:

You never see anything like this on Chav cars....maybe on top of the range Mercs, Audis, Seats, Rovers, Bentleys etc etc.

I like them and intend fitting the Alfa ones on my GT as I love the contrast between the dark colour of the bodywork and the polished metal on the wing mirrors. It is little details like that that make the car stand out and look a bit special without the need for big bodykits or lairy paints and that is why a lot of manufacturers use things like this on top of the range sport models.

#12 ·
I liked them when I had the on my 156 but I found the quality to be terrible:(

Whoooaa! Chav wheels

Is there any air in those tyres? :D
:rolleyes: There is that word again...it's like a generic term for some people to apply to any non standard part added to anyone's car.

How long before any house that is not exactly the same as the show home is being deemed as a 'chav' house because the owners have dared to change something on it:rolleyes:

#13 ·
I would class "chav" as being beyond the bounds for the sake of being beyond the bounds. Like 19" wheels on a Honda civic with rubber bands for tyres, handling gone, comfort gone but they look mean. Now if it's a show car fair dues, but for a road car......does not have to be physical bounds alone, it can be the bounds of general taste or just simply cheap and nasty (see: Halfords "styling" section)

Simpler definition might be adding something for glitter rather than style. e.g neons matching facia dial lamp colours in the footwells giving a glow with courtesy lights at night = style, same neons permanently illuminated and pulsating to the sound of house music = chav. Show car with neons underneath for photshoot = style, drive it down main street with the neons = chav.

Just my tuppence worth.

#14 · (Edited)
I would class "chav" as being beyond the bounds for the sake of being beyond the bounds. Like 19" wheels on a Honda civic with rubber bands for tyres, handling gone, comfort gone but they look mean. Now if it's a show car fair dues, but for a road car......does not have to be physical bounds alone, it can be the bounds of general taste or just simply cheap and nasty (see: Halfords "styling" section)

Simpler definition might be adding something for glitter rather than style. e.g neons matching facia dial lamp colours in the footwells giving a glow with courtesy lights at night = style, same neons permanently illuminated and pulsating to the sound of house music = chav. Show car with neons underneath for photshoot = style, drive it down main street with the neons = chav.

Just my tuppence worth.
I can see your point and agree to an extent...but I do think that the term 'chav' is thrown around a little too easily lately.

For instance, that rear spoiler on your 156 does pretty much nothing other than stop you seeing out of the back window....and it can be bought from the styling section at Halfords (honestly, my Wife is the manager of the styling section at Halfords...they may have utter tat on show but if you were to look at what they have in stock or can order you would be very very suprised at both the range of stuff and the prices!)....what I am trying to say is that, with how some people define chav, your spoiler fits into the description you gave above.

Now, dont get me wrong as I love the big 156 spoiler and actually requested it fitting to my 156 before I would buy it, but what is wrong with wanting a mean looking car and doing things to it to personalise it in a few little ways if you are willing to lose a bit of the practicality? It's your car after all so if you can live with that practicality then so be it.

My personal definition of a chav car would not be a 147 with large wheels or a GT with chrome wing mirrors...it would be an old base model Saxo or Corsa with every concievable peice of stick on tat thrown at it such as big aluminium wings stuck on the roof, headlamp eyebrows, a 10" exhaust that is hanging from the back bumper out of a hacksawed wobbly hole, partial mirror window tints on the back windows, M3 style mirrors but without the custom base plates, Fast and the Furious graphics over the top of the standard paintwork and fake BMW wing vents.....the list goes on but that is what I would define as Chav. There has been no carefull reasoning to what they have done and have simply thrown everything at the car...not one or two tasteful things...just everything.

#15 ·
ive seen these for sale here (the momo silver mirror covers) if it was me and i had painted mirrors on id leave well alone, but if my mirror got damaged i think id get these and an unpainted pattern part as a replacement instead of getting the alfa mirrors painted.

noone here is very tolerant of anything different from what they drive, but hey i guess thats grand when your talkin in a car club :) i have a wee chav motor aswell (rs1800 with nearly everything uprated+bodykit) an i love it too i enjoyed changing it an now i have a one of car that goes like the clappers an i spent maybe £5k or so on it so bargain (untill i have to sell it)

#17 ·
Well guys, i must thank you all for all your comments and photo's. I did enjoy all the chav bits. ( i think i will take my Burberry cap off now -lol ) - only joking !!! - I think the general consensus is to leave it original. But thanks for the photo's - it was/is a big help to see them on an alfa. I will never be satisfield though.

Cheers Guys !!!

Graham

West Yorkshire

#18 ·
Just realised that my best barometer of what to avoid is my 14 year old daughter (a definite petrolhead in the making). Simple rule i will follow from now on is "The more she likes and wants it on the car, the less the chance it should ever have of getting there" and vice versa :)

How dare she say my lovely 1979 Porsche is ugly and cr4p, no appreciation these young ones :)

#20 ·
:[/QUOTE]
:rolleyes: There is that word again...it's like a generic term for some people to apply to any non standard part added to anyone's car.

How long before any house that is not exactly the same as the show home is being deemed as a 'chav' house because the owners have dared to change something on it:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I must be a fully payed up chav then. Oh the shame of it.:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.