Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What is the ultimate 159 spec

Tags
spec ultimate
3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  wormus 
#1 ·
May be considering changing from Brera to 159 due to family additions

What would the ultimate 159 look like, in terms of equipment, colour, interior etc etc.

Does anyone have this spec ?

What is a sensible average MPG for the 3.2 in the 159 ?

#2 ·
Hi Hottrout

The top spec is all a matter of opinion really - if you have bottomless pockets then you can have pretty much anything you want on your 159.....

If it we me, I'd go for the following:

159 3.2 JTS Lusso Sportwagon, in Special Alfa Red with tan leather and the following optional bits:

18" 7-hole alloys
Silver Roof Rails
Bose Hi-Fi
CD Changer (I'm old fashioned like this)
Sat-Nav (think it's an option on the 3.2 as well)
Xenoms
Blue & Me
Front Parking Sensors

That's probably the full options list anyway but it would be an awesome machine!

If money is an issue - then look out for ex-demo models with as much kit as possible.......

Happy shopping!

Tobes:cool:

#20 ·
...and it weighs in at 3 tons with all that gear... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice spec, but lose the front sensors and the satnav. The rest would do me very well... ;)

#3 ·
I wouldn't go for the sat nav but all else Tobes says I agree with with.
Don't rule out the 2.4 oil burner! goes like stink,gives 40mpg on motorways and ~36 mpg on mixed driving. Also, if its a family car, definitely go SW rather than saloon. Ive 2 wee girls and that extra boot space is definitely welcome. An added bonus is that the SW suspension is apparently uprated compared to the saloon. There's a Titanio one sitting waiting on your money in Belfast. See the linky
http://pilot.alfa-approved-cars.co.uk/Acl-vfc/vfc/alfa/index.aspx

#4 ·
Hi,

You get a lot of good kit standard on a Lusso spec. In addition, I agree with the 18s, I got the 7-holes, but personally wish I'd had the spokes, which I think look better. The dark metallic colours look awesome on the SPW - Titanio or stromboli grey are my faves.

The standard stereo is very good, so personally I wouldn't bother with the BOSE: as a few people have said on a different thread (http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/general-alfa-discussion/73922-buying-a-brand-new-159-a.html), if you're a hi-fi buff, you'll probably be disappointed with the upgrade. And if you've got Blue&Me (which you definitely should have), you (surely!) don't need a CD changer - invest in an 80g iPod instead and have instant access to 20,000 songs (and some change left over).

And I've found the all-round parking sensors with dashboard display is a good option.

I'd also recommend the demonstrator route, which is what I've done with my last two cars: all the niggly little problems that new car buyers report on here tend to have been sorted. I bought mine 3 months old, with 1100 on the clock, 5k off list price.
cheers,
Aidan

#6 ·
Hi,

I'd also recommend the demonstrator route, which is what I've done with my last two cars: all the niggly little problems that new car buyers report on here tend to have been sorted. I bought mine 3 months old, with 1100 on the clock, 5k off list price.
cheers,
Aidan
Exactly, what I did - only my car was 2 months old when I bought it. We agreed a price (3.5 grand off list) and they kept it in their compound until until it was 3 months old. It had 1600 miles when I picked it up and all the niggling faults had been fixed. Only a nobber buys a new one with their own money.

I haven't driven the petrol but the 5 pot diesel goes really well after it's loosened up and had a remap (250bhp + 350lbs torque). The 1.9 is too slow in my opinion.

Bear in mind the estate makes a heavy car even heavier but if you have very young kids and must carry push chairs, cots etc it's the only one to go for. Only disappointment is the rear legroom in saloon & estate is not brilliant if you have the driver's seat right back. If the 169 is affordable, that'll be next on my list :)

#8 ·
Was at dealer in Worcester, looking at a used 156, & couldn,t help dreaming of the new stuff, but as for brown\ tan interior I personally thought it looked terrible, Black 4 me!
They had a great looking demo 159 sptwgon, red loads of nice bits, think it was tan interior, auto, unfortunately 1.9 jtdm. Should have gone for 2.4.
Its funny how our tastes differ!

#12 ·
Hi

The 2.4 JTD will be increased in power to 210 BHP but won’t be standard with Q4, there is nothing definite about the 3.0 diesel yet.

The 159 Sportwagon is going to have the option of a glass panoramic roof similar to the one on the Brera, that I think will be super cool.

There is also a new Blue & Me package that includes sat nav which is displayed between the rev counter and the Speedo. This option is also going to be very good value at approximately £400.

I have ordered soom 159’s with the Ti pack and I am very much looking forward to seeing them.

Ned

#13 ·
Definitely agree on buying a demonstrater. I managed £7k off a 6 month old spec'd up Lusso Sportwagon 1.9Jtd with 4.5k miles on it. All the niggles (I presume there were some) were sorted! It came with 18" horseshoe alloys, and power/heated seats/mirrors-a warm bum is a big bonus on a cold morning! I got my favourite colour too-strombolli!

The ride is acceptable on such big alloys but the performance is weak due to the weight and very high gearing. The economy is fair but often more economical in 5th than in 6th on a motorway run. The wipers are confusing (Does it have a washer on the rear window?? I can't find it!) and the fob operated rear hatch is slow to react. Does it have a hill holder(UK spec)? If so, how do you operate it?

However, the amount of attention it gets is amazing. People stop and stare wherever you are! It's also so rare that you feel so special and I hope it'll keep it's values up when I come to sell it. In the meantime I will rub all BMW and Audi drivers' noses and hope it'll be reliable-it's my 1st Alfa!

Spec it carefully, get the right colour and haggle hard. Oh, and get the 2.4Jtd!!

Good luck!

#15 ·
Hi

The 2.4 JTD is the one to have and with a remap or the P-Box we do you can easily get 245 BHP and 480 nm. With the 2.4 JTD you also get the large Brembo callipers and the twin exhausts which look the nuts.

When you order Alfa Romeos it is very important to order the right specification and colour combination for the future value. Always have leather and a wheel upgrade is also a good future selling point. I also think the Sportwagon will hold its value better than the saloon.

Ned

#23 · (Edited)
As you're getting more power earlier and better torque lower down so you have better acceleration from both standstill and overtaking.

Fuel economy will depend on how heavy your right foot is. In theory as you get better power lower down you don't have to be so right foot heavy in the first place to reach the same speed as before, so your fuel economy won't change too much. Naturally, the more right foot heavy you are the more fuel you'll use.

What some companies don't tell you is that your engine life is slightly decreased, but only by a few percent at most.

Normally a 1.9 remap will give you an extra 35 BHP on average. A 2.4 remap will get you around 45-55 BHP.

It all depends on your budget and your needs. If money is a concern remember a standard 2.4D costs over £2k more than a 1.9D already. Also, the insurance and road tax is more, and it drinks fuel quicker, costs more for servicing and the engine weight is a lot heavier (not good if you live in a speed hump area like I do). Increasing a 2.4D to 250BHP means a heck of a lot of power going to a FWD car. If you have that much power you should get a 4WD car like a Alfa with Q4.

If you think about it, the 1.9D is a lighter engine and gives you better fuel economy, less tyre wear etc. The saving in extra fuel and road tax alone in one year would pay for the majority of a remap of a 1.9D approx. You should knock a second off your 0-60 and improve overtaking capabilities.

#18 ·
Hi

You must tell your insurance company about a remap or P-Box, the company we recommend our customers for insurance typically charge an extra £50 a year but this depends on your age etc.

With regard fuel economy in my experience if you were to do the same journey with and without remap or P-Box at the same speed with out using the extra power the fuel economy will be approved but you do have the extra power so tend to use it so it does have an adverse affect on the fuel economy it won’t be much though.

Ned

#25 ·
It's all swings and roundabouts really. If you already have a 1.9D just get it remapped. I know 4WD adds more weight to the already heavy 2.4D but IMO you need it if you have 250BHP remap, especially combined with wet or snowy weather. A 1.9D remap will bring you up to a standard 2.4D - and save you £2k. But if money's no object get a 2.4!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.