Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Stopping Spider roof mid cycle

892 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Fitz750 
#1 ·
Is it good practise or at least is it ok to stop the roof mid cycle for reasons of cleaning ?

Also while on the subject, is there any easy regular that needs carrying out on the roof other than keeping it clean ?

#3 ·
I believe its ok to stop mid cycle, my roof occasionally stops on its own after folding over the roll bar, by pressing the button again it continues in its place in the cycle. Isnt there a storage compartment in the hood storage compartment, so partial opening would grant access to this and to the hood hydraulic pump and rear struts for servicing and repairs. Its never come back to bite me (yet) stopping mid cycle. However I cant see a great advantage in stopping mid cycle for cleaning?

As for cleaning I just use normal shampoo and lather it up on the roof, using a firm bristle brush to get in the folds. Then pressure wash at an angle. I use Qtechniq smart fabric to waterproof the hood. Very impressed with the results:

Attachments

#4 ·
There's no problem stopping mid-cycle.

Like Matt James', mine also stops of its own accord, but unlike his, mine does it about 4 times on each cycle and will not continue once the button is pressed again.
I've got to manually move it on a bit then press the button again and all is fine.

What I've not done is switched the engine off mid-cycle and taken the key out of the dash - not sure if that would upset things!

#6 ·
Thanks for those replies, I was thinking more for hoovering out the roof storage compartment and also cleaning the rear window as that cant be easy with the screen between the roll bars in the way.
Mid cycle for 3 months, what was that about ?

#8 ·
Mid cycle for 3 months, what was that about ?[/QUOTE]

I upgraded the suspension to Eibach's / koni last winter and found once the car was up on jacks the rear deck would not drop back down once I opened it. I couldn't drop the car back down as I had no wheels / suspension and with being away for work, Christmas, ski season it took a while to finish the job. After I finished and the car was back on it's wheels everything worked as usual. I guess there is some sensor related to the level of the car or she was just in one of her moods :eek:

P.S - suspension upgrade best mod so far :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.